Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Jesse Livermore and KIO

sponono
Super Contributor
If Jesse Livermore was alive today I think he would have bought KIO at R280, R390 and would have added some more today.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Actually the wall street raider was a notorious stock "shorter." AND that's how he went out - with his boots on. If anything - he would be selling KIO short.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
But we're in a bull market as the old trader that was his mentor would say. I don't think he would have shorted. He had a good grasp of not going against the trend.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
If you will notice I did indicate "if anything." The point is that I don't think any trader would want to go long KIO as an initial point of entry at these lofty levels. Do you?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
one word .. capitec .. don;t be scared of stocks that are high .. they can go higer an higher ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I just did, so lets see, go long that is
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I didn't want to buy Capitec back in 2005 as it was already too high at around R5, as I refused to buy a couple of years before at R1. Spoke to an employee (not very senior) of the company the other day that sold his house in 2005 and put everything into Capitec shares. Just bought himself a huge house again last year - and a yacht in Langebaan. Point is, too high for one man could be an extra yacht for another.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Oh I am happy to hold - but I would rather hold an ARI then. BUT are you a trader or an ivestor?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I chatted to a very high up investment banker in London last week and he says one must look at the extremes, extremely low price, extreme momentum,etc... I think Capitec is the momentum play, I held this one for several years now as well.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Jesse Livermore would still be holding but watching out for any aberration.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Livermore would be happy with his return: 87% return on his initial purchase at R280 and 34% on his follow-up purchase. I'm sure he would have added some more at R490.
0 Kudos