Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

John Mauldin

Bouwer
Super Contributor
Anybody here a fan of Mauldin economics? http://www.mauldineconomics.com I really do find his news letters very interesting and insightful...
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Creature_of_the
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im reading his book now, Endgame: The End of the Debt Supercycle
I find it very interesting and I believe hes got a lot of very good points in the book, but only just started on it.
0 Kudos
gamma
Contributor
About as useful as Magnus Heystek
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
He (Mauldin) is not responsible for my money , i am.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry Koos - but what exactly does that have to do with the price of eggs?
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
ok, ja, maybe i am not cheerleader / groupie material. Just ignore my comment.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Lots, I agree with Koos, Mauldin makes more money selling his ideas that did not work....as I said before, when I start selling my trading/ investment advice, it means I a have gone broke, and the only way to make money is to sell those dud strategies....if they worked, I would not be telling anybody....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what is wrong with paying for research? How is that any different to the very large part of the investment community that buys the financial mail? And so what if they make recommendations on trades - how is that any different to buy hold sell recommendations made by analysts world wide? He isn't managing your money for you - just providing analytical insight based on effort made by them to research the field.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just a ramble on the side...I do think that a lot of people dont know how to trade economic views as well, often citing economists as wrong because it didnt happen exactly when they say. I see John Mauldin called a crash in 2011 citing debt levels, obviously this didnt materialize. Question is, was he just wrong or was his timing off?
Trading off economic views arent easy but its possible, Soros is proof of that (named best hedge fund manager again this year).

Just saying how you take the information in and how you act on it should be your own discretion and one should dig deeper to see what quality information is. As skaaptjop sais nothing wrong with reading an another analysts point of view, thats why the industry exists.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
to answer the question though of whether he was just wrong:
He cited that once the debt ceiling hit and stimulus was removed it was Game Over (which he believed would happen in 2011), the "bulls/politicians" simply raised the debt ceiling and started with QE Infinity, something he couldnt have foreseen, basically kicking the can further down the road. Question is now that they stopping stimulus is his arguement still sound, or do we believe Yellen (that that economy is just fine).
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I don't have to be a Mauldin to work out that , if the economy is improving , then you don't need the stimulus.....I agree, research must cost money but research does not necessarily make you money , but for retail investors like us, just understanding the PE ratio is possibly all you need.....
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
I would agree with you but there are some people that really do help and ask a little bit for that help.. Garth Mackenzie?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, but does Garth give you anymore than what you can get for free elsewhere.....or here
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
I do agree, you can probably do it all on your own. By no means is he the alpha and omega of my personal finance. But as the thread suggested, I find his news letters interesting and insightful.
0 Kudos