Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Johns post re the life of a trader ??

NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Re the idea of an API: why doesn't Standard Bank develop a webservices interface for the OST website functionality?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think that would be awesome, but opens the door for amateurs to loose tonnes of money. but if it is a .NET webservice there is not that many people that can actually develop systems to use it, maybe this will make for a very nice secondary software market for trading/investing software. good idea!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, maybe you should have a link to your tinyurl for the lazy system permantley on the home page so ppl stop asking about it?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Saash, this is courtesy of Dr Elder - write this out 10 times every time you start wavering: I have it in me to do myself serious financial damage if I ........ You can add on whatever it is you wish to do that is not within your normal trading pattern.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
U getting too scared because u have made a lot in recent times. In theory with a proper system in place u should carry on doing what u doing and u will be all right. The thing to avoid is when the bad patch eventually comes that u don't start running after the market to recover your losses because that is when the losses will start compounding. At that point u will just lose a grip on what u doing. Remember this thing from me>>> Any system that u not in control of, it control u!! This also applies nicely in life ;)
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Saash i agree with wizard if you trading well continue what youre doing.I have never heard of someone telling a sportsman when he is in top form to take a break cause he may be getting over confident.Its when you start losing money that you need to take a break and re-asses your system to go back to what you were doing when you were making money.The trick now is to keep detailed record of what your doing thats proved to be succesful to revert to when the bad times come.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
becoz with respect saash is not an elite trader ..
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Oof!! That best be with oodles of respect pretty boy ;-) When I get into your league, I'll invite you for a good wine :-)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
ppl thanks :-) I sat this morning and reviewed my rules. Realised that I didn't have a confirmation signal and so DIDN"T enter a new trade (for the first time in weeks). Turns out this is a good thing, cos now I can go have a pic nic :-) instead of watching this dead market!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Saash...the market will always be here and as a trader your primary job is to make sure that you are able to participate by protecting yourself from capital damage..Part of being consistantly profitable lies in changing the belief "that money does not come easy...to is is easy to get money " For me...that means taking a break on a tuesday and taking my kids for a picnic at Kirstenbosch...my point is..if you cant take a break your belief that its easy needs work...without that belief changed self sabatarge is the next step.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Interesting point John.......contrary to everything we are taught in the corporate world and yet vital to trading succesfully and protecting capital.....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya ultimatly its your beliefs that effect your reality..so work on changing those that hinder your growth.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
beliefs and in my case spelling and typing.
0 Kudos
MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
quote: "I believe in Harvey Dent".
0 Kudos