Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Joining the forum and my last question

diaan
Occasional Contributor
So I still don't have a response to my previous question but at least it seemed to provoke some discussion! I am an attorney in Sandton and have been in the market since August. I started with 70k and decided to play and learn for a year before going in more seriously. My biggest challenge is to find the time to research and stay on top of my portfolio whilst concentrating on my work. I have discovered that my biggest trading weakness is to ignore my stop loss alerts.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Not applicable
The easiest way to make a million is to start with 2, and use TA.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Err, The easiest way to end up with a million is to start with 2, and use TA
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey Super Idego how do you use TA (trading alerts)in the most effective form?
0 Kudos
diaan
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
Hey diaan, I know how you feel about stoploss. I decided today to cut my losses in Sun International (minus 33%) and R50K down and put the remains into ESOR. I also cut my phenominal losses in AGI and put the remains into Raubex. both companies came out with good results. Dont know why I have been so stupid for so long but was hoping for recovery and got frozen. I will never EVER ignore my stoploss alerts again!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I remain glued to the screen, manifest a tic, then smoke, cut loose at 20% down. I was, however, referring to Technical Analysis.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
so we had better be jolly careful what we say to u!....Decide on at least two shares that take your fancy,prefably rand hedges in the top 40,then look only at them once weekly ,even ig they go down by 15% keep if u are sure within yourself...good way to start,thats the way warren buffet did it....OMO and all that jazz...good luck.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
glad im not the only lawboy around the ca's.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
one more thing,if u decide to have two anchor shares,then its better to hold as shares and not installments.These days SBK installments roll over,although they rise faster than shares,remember the reverse is also true when they fall.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Oh boy talk about stop losses. What a lesson to always stick to your stop loss! the worst case as happened to me with simmers, my stop loss triggered but market gapped down to fast too quickly so i never managed to get out that level. Been waiting to for it to reach back there until now and still waiting :( what do u guys do when this happens?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lots of other lessons still to learn. Like sell on downturn, buy on upturn. Don't presume these numbers with any tool. Hope this won't be your last post. It got a lot of response.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Find a method that works for you - be it for day trading or investing. There are lots of different ideas on the forum (and I try to take the good from all) - but I find it too much to sift through, and invariably fall back on my own method. At least I only have myself to blame then.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
last tip i promise!....i'm against TRAILING stop losses as they are definitly manipulated...sharp practise its called from time to time...How ever if u have a blue chip,may be worth putting a FIXED stop-loss 17% below the ruling price as this can prevent u loosing the farm and will give u a peaceful night s sleep....i use this method and then alerts,update weekly.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The thing is, if enough people believe in a system, the system will prove to be correct. E.g. if enough people believe in TA analysis and it indicates a bounce at a certain resistance level, it may bounce and "prove" the system. This will work for any system. Tis about psychology more than anything else.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Salve,Diaan.Share trading is eiusdem generis.As long as you are compus mentis and don't make any a priori assumptions you should do well ab initio unless vis major intervenes, but remember,caveat emptor.Vale!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Hi, diaan (my son's name, too!) - pardon my enquiry: how much of the 70K you got left? if you've done well, leave the law practice, if you've done bad... leave the share game to a reputable dealer and just check on his reports. Otherwise, decide on weather you want to trade or invest. My experience: if you've got a profitable job, stick to that discipline, a busy professional doesn't have time to chat and play around this madhouse! And even if you think you have time... think again. OMIO :-)
0 Kudos
Skyhawk
Contributor
Trading is difficult and easy,it all depends how you go about the whole thing.... do not think emotionally. Like my economics teacher used to say ..economics, politics and religion is a three ring circus.
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
LOL...we can always depend on Russ to make us laugh.....
0 Kudos