Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

July 2002 to Nov 2008 Physical Gold vs Top 40

Not applicable
Gold R3250 per ounce to R7700 per ounce = 236%. Top 40 1020c to 1638c = 60%. Where would you rather have been?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, it did quite well, i bought my first krugerrand in March 2002, this was with the first cash i got from my current job, still have it and will possibly never sell it, its a token and has special meaning to me... but thats quite interesting, thanks for the post.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Keep quite otherwise everyone will find out. :)
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Interestingly Jon Nadler has been saying that people should exit gold recently. eg read http://www.kitco.com/ind/nadler/nov102008B.html Then read http://www.zealllc.com/2008/gldetf4.htm for the other side of the story.
0 Kudos
niemand
Contributor
Anyone know why it's rushing upwards the past 2 days? Just watched it spike up at the NYSE open? It usually does the opposite...
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Standard Charter Bank do not seem to think that there is risk with the future of gold.... Just given ANG a billion dollar loan facility... IMO there is going to be a huge rise in gold counters in the very short term?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, I also read about the loan, but I'm not impressed. It's much easier for Standard Chartered to lend $1billion to Anglogold than to buy $1billion of Anglogold shares. I really don't like what I read about Anglogold at the moment and am staying away from them. Standard Chartered is lucky because if one has lots of money one lends it to companies who pay them interest AND Standard Chartered get the directors to sign surety for the loan OR sign the company's gold mining rights away. Worst case scenario is that Standard Chartered just bought themselves a Gold mine at much less than its real value. Note that these are my personal views. I am not an investment advisor, just someone who is trying to understand what's going on.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Huaron, objective . an you pick 2 random dates ? use Apr 03-May08 . An ruff ain't objective either ?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ya be objective go long with a break up of the 200 day and short on a break of the 200 day..Anything that is staying flat is currently outperforming..that does not mean its making money in nominal terms.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So the first random date was the date I advised a friend to sell all his shares and buy physical gold.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So should be sorry ... . Sorry. But yes, in the greater scheme of things, it is only a random date. Similar to the kinds of things we read in newspapers about unit trusts which use actuaries who use random dates to prove that their fund is outperforming others.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
More random dates. Top 40 from 22 May 2008 till now dropped 48%. Gold during this same date range increased 10% in Rands. Ok, I know you want gold to fall. Here it is: Gold in US$ fell 20% during this period. Fortunately I live in South Africa.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
People can say what they want about gold, my kr did very well for me, first it looked otherwise, but recently in the past few years it actually made some good gains, i am very happy with this, Huaron, some of the guys on this site just don't like it and would argue that point regardless. I really like gold coin collections... very cool, but not standard coins, they need to be rare coins with the resultant value.
0 Kudos