Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Just a thought

Not applicable
with the PSG MakeAmillion comp starting in september www.makeamillion.co.za is this not a good time to think ahead and make some cash? Anyone have any idea on how many people enter this comp. I would assume a lot of players would be investing in small caps hoping for high risk high reward. so maybe end of the month is a good time to buy into a few choice small caps and wait for all these chops to push the price up from september? anyone else thinking along these lines?
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
709 had entered as of yesterday.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks simon...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So which small caps do you think they would try trade.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hey, I came up with the idea... you come up with the shares...
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
I'm not sure how much of an effect 709, R10 000 accounts will have.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I wonder if this year's entrants won't have a watch and wait approach rather than piling into any penny share they can get there hands on. No matter what they do, some school fees will have to be paid this year. This volatility will claim it victims and those victims would probably outnumber the previous two competitions combined.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
may sound like a little but still over 2 weeks to register (and they are advertising like mad...) and when you add say 10 or 15 million cash into shares that have been pretty much dead...
0 Kudos
Pam_1
Regular Contributor
PSG trading site has a chat forum similar to this one on OST, with an active "best share of next week" informal competition ongoing. I picked up plenty good penny share tips from that communication. If you are in the MAM3 competition, you have access to the PSG chat room.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Safest bet would be to buy the previous years winning pennies. Miranda, Sallies, Simmers, Acc Ross etc. You would need to do some homework and look at a few graphs that spiked between December and March on pennies to spot some potential.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
what were the dates for the 2005 competition? two sets of data better than one set
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Dec, Jan, Feb
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
JH-SMALL (sharenet code small caps index) during MAM1 gained 23.32%, during MAM2 gained 23.32% both periods outperformed the ALSI40. Maybe onto something here. Would be interesting to look back on recommendations by the likes of smallcaps.co.za and redhotpenny stocks to compare their portfolio recommendations to the leaders during the game period.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
typo sorry during MAM2 gained 15.42%
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Naomi entered the Sanlam Itrade competition with the virtual R100,000 .Lost R5000 on the first week and R2000 on the secondweek which i consider not bad.How ever the winner in the first week made an 80% rise and the same for the second week,which i considered impossible with the limited amount of shares, that one was allowed to trade! I told her there must be manipulation of some kind.Hardly had i spoken the words de than we received from Itrade an email warning all contestants that it was illegal to send up share prices by collousion with oter traders not in the competition.Now she has lost interest in this competition and wonders if there will be cheating in the PSG competition as well?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
From what the PSG guys declared in the past they are well aware of the possibility of manipulation and they have systems in place to constantly monitor same. With R10k in the game, how shrewed do you have to be? In theory, however, not foolproof. Even banks get scr$w$d.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The difference is that JSE market manipulation with real money is a punishable crime and I think quite easy to trace. I think a lot of checks and balances are done in competitions like this, and I think PSG and the JSE takes particular care to hunt down market manipulators. The JSE simply cannot afford to loose credibility and they are without question one of the most successful enforcers of corporate governance in this country.
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
Sanlam is a virtual trading platform (correct me if i am wrong), but with the PSG competition you have to deposit 10K of your own money and app fee is R650 and you are trading the funds as per a normaltrading account on their platform (as i understand). Collusion to drive the share price up would involve real sums of money and the corresponding volumes in order to sustain the prices ( as those that have heeded Brazens catching falling knives expression would know that can be a painful exercise).
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Well I hope they pick ISA,BWI & ANS as i sure could use some growth on these for a change
0 Kudos
Not applicable
pretty easy to manipulate... Lets say I buy share ABC with my R10k I then put in a sell order for the whole lot at 30% above current price. My brother from another mother not in the comp puts in a buy order to match my price (assuming the share has not too much liquidity and no other real buy/sell orders in place) even if we lose R50k on brokarege etc we still go on to win the million with our 4600% return over 10 weeks.
0 Kudos