Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

KIO

Werner_1
Super Contributor
what's your thoughts on KIO right now... its quite low. maybe a good entry point? or is there something dodgy going on? div's were just paid, got a good bit of cash :) but price is quite low, i think on the bottom part of the trading band...
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
richardw
Super Contributor
Directors selling concerns me.
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Hi Werner, dont know your strategy, but if for the longer term, then without a doubt start accumulating....I have been at 436 (which is on its 200MA), but still at a div of around 9% - just makes business sense. Also been buying Exx under R170...
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
KIO seems determined to test long term support line at approx. 42500c. If that support level does not hold, then down we go. omo
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Werner, I think that Kumba does not carry any more aces up its sleeve. It is at full production, and received an impetus when it was able to cancel its cost +3% contract with ACL. Now it is driven primarily by price of goods sold and the rand exchange rate. I will have to go again to its operations reports to see if there are any big production increases expected, but I think not. So at 9* PE, you are forcasting stable prices for the next 9 years. And you are dealing with a faceoff situation with the DMR, as well as a contractual dispute with ACL which I don't think is resolved yet. To me KIO is tradable at these levels, but for investment, I am not so sure? I have a preference to EXX, which has a 20% stake in KIO anyways.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they got new ore coming on stream .. Kolomela mine in the Northern Cape, Q4 2011 if I recall correct ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
SKAAP - fianlly we have a meeting of minds re KIO - Based on KIO'S valuation WRT tons produced looking forward - ANGLO (which owns two thirds of KIO) will produce 2,5 x KIO's attributable output - so (1211x270)/(323x430)=2.35. SO - when you buy ANGLO AMERICAN - you pay a discount to KIO for her IRON ORE interests - E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g else is FREE! - Why on earth would anybody buy KIO??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the trade is long AGL and short AMS & KIO ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
And BHP and, to a lesser extent, ARM. These are the value counters in this sector. (And on a less diversified note, EXX)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well no .. it on AGL under performing it's two main profits machies .. AMS and KIO .. They have moved out of sync ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
well no... I'm not commenting on your long/short trade (although it makes sense.) I am interested in long positions only (unless I am hedging my portfolios.)
0 Kudos
KJR
Frequent Contributor
Is my understanding correct?? that KIO is short and AGL long????
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
KIO and AMS short .. AGL long .. trade was recommended a week or so bak, so not sure if it still 'live' .. logic was AMS and KIO had run while AGL agged yet AMS and KIO are main income for AGL ..
0 Kudos