Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Krugerrands

grandmaster
Frequent Contributor
Anyone know where the best place is to buy Krugerrands?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
platsak
Super Contributor
Lots of places. Just look on the internet. Unfortunately theres lots of commission payable buying and selling?
0 Kudos
Mol
Frequent Contributor
Investgold,Jhb
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why not newgold (GLD)
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
I agree. Simon? what's up out there? XPT daily STO, MAC-M and RSI shows neutral while XAU is overbought, and a Bloomberg article suggests a big pullback on commodities. Yet there are articles out there suggesting XAU to go over USD2k in the next 12 to 36 months? See Ronald Stroeferle from Erste Bank's interview on cnbc.com
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
XAU to over US$2k, that story has been around since they first pulled the stuff out of the ground. I think it lacks ambitition, why not US$10k?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
heh :-) nuff said! Like Dr Roffey's 'gold' tie nuh?
0 Kudos
Mol
Frequent Contributor
Its the feeling of holding real money and not to be tempted to sell on small profits like glds. Buy your krugerrands for the longer term and you wont be sorry.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but why? Gold has been the worst preforming asset for the last 25 years, I don't understand why it will change? (I know all the stories about the end of the world, inflation etc. but none of these stories are new, they been around for +25 years). Further gold is a liability rather then an asset. Only time to buy gold is when closing a short .
0 Kudos
grandmaster
Frequent Contributor
Thanks people.Your input is appreciated.
0 Kudos
Mol
Frequent Contributor
I have farmer friends in Zimbabwe and if it wasent for their gold holdings!!! Started buying kr in 2004. 100%. Made myself 1 mil since.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Mol, sure but what if you bought property or listed shares since 2004? You would have made multiples of a 1m'e! SOL, MTN, Anglos, Platinum shares et al...... Even just the index.. Ah well, each to their own.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Ya, but you guys are all forgetting the joy of the weight of that reinforced moneybelt as you swagger around the bunker. . .
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
My 1c worth - it's a matter of diversification - as they say: some shares, some cash, some fixed property, some Kr'Rands, etc. Kruggerrands especially for the longer term, not a commodity to trade as with shares.
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
see gold-eagle.com , click on tech analysis section.Simon,s comment does it! From a contrarian point, it is a sign that the gold price will rise more as financial instability intensifies.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
$10k for gold?? Why not. And will that reflect high value and confidence in the metal itself, massive buying by the banks? low production by the mines? OR, and I think this is more to the point, will it reflect a severe LACK of value in the measuring currency? The US$ has dropped in value against every other major currency over the past few years. And there's more to come.
Just because the gold price is high does not mean there's any value in it. It merely means the dollar is weak.
0 Kudos
GQ
Occasional Contributor
A minor rant, major cents. GOLD is not an alternative asset class to anything but CASH. Simon, the reason equities and property have been the best performing asset classes over our lifetimes is because the nature of money changed forever in 1973. During the Vietnam war, Nixon abolished the Gold Standard to stave off US bankruptcy, with no need to credibly control how wealth was translated to currency, he opened the way for money to be `created'. All that money found a home in the organization, equities, property and money markets. The whole system almost seemed credible... Now. The cracks are showing - (continued as a seperate thread on forum)
0 Kudos