Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Lap top for Trading?

asylum
Super Contributor
any recommendations for a lap top, not too sure what to get.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
warhippo
Super Contributor
I can really recommend a Netbook. Not heavy, small, travel easy and cheap.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If u do work at night look for the laptop to have backlight on the keyboard. Not many have it though. I'm so frustrated that my 11k HP Pavilion doesn't have that feature!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's like asking what car to get for driving from A to B, cause anything will suit. First question should be - what is your budget?
0 Kudos
janne
Frequent Contributor
It depends what you want to do with it. If the size and budget allows it, get the model with wider screen (17 inch). Small screens are frustrating when one has several windows open simultaneously. I find netbooks 10 inch screen too small to do any sensible charting on. Good as a back-up and for trade executions.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sony Z series .. extreme light about 750grams, SSD, way fast and with over 10 hours of battery ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Vaio Z is very expensive, 20K to 30K and more. Laptops are even worse than cars, you lose value every month. I would go with something like: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge NVP7CZA 14" - you can get one for about 7K and it should be more than enough for trading. And for 15K you can get MacBook Pro 13", battery is also very good and it has keyboard backlighting.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
thanks for the replies iam looking at this one sony VPCEA16FG/L * Intelr CoreT i5-520M Processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz * Genuine Windowsr 7 Home Premium (64-bit) * 14" wide (WXGA:1366 x 768) VAIO Display, LED backlight * ATI Mobility RadeonT HD 5650 Graphics * Instant web browsing: Quick Web Access button * Bundled media player "Media Gallery" & creation software "PMB VAIO Edition" any good?
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
you can have the best machine you want..even one that NASA uses..but your connection speed to the internet whether fixed line or 3G will eventually constrain the machine. Buy some thing reasonable that connects reasonable to the networks. I bought an acer aspire in singapore for R2500, itw works very well and serves all purposes
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sure DR.....now thats sensible.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
thanks DR you make sense but moving to France in a years time hopefully thier bandwith speed there are better.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Have a look here for loads of reviews - http://www.laptopmag.com HP Envy series looks pretty decent with great battery life, 5-7 hours.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
in any event lap tops have a 2 yr life then something else comes up, battery life (extended one ) is perhaps most important. Look around. the sony stick drive I was considering buying was $900 in singpore and also same in dubai. but heck, its your money so buy what you are most comfortable with
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I think the issues are battery life and screen size ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just wondering....are there any laptops that fold in half ? You know, a 20 inch screen folding over into a 10 inch tablet.Surely there must be a manfacturer that's done that.or what ?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Check out the new MacBook Air - its got fantastic battery life, comes in two sizes 11' and 13' and all solid state and has fancy 'always' on behaviour like what an iPad or iPhone has, when you want it on, its on, no waiting etc. Also ultra thin and light. in USA starting at $999.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My vote as well - reviews for these have been great.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I had just about every laptop u can buy,2y later u get blue screens and thats that.The best latop u could buy is a Dell,and no I dont work for them.My 4 y old daughter thought dads lil laptop is a frisby and after that fall the thing still works.a Real tractor.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Dell's are excellent. but for the blue screen issue, try a macbook (apple) they dont give blue screen as all.
0 Kudos