Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Last chance to buy Gold under US$1,000

Not applicable
Update: Spot Gold DOWN 1.01% to $987.79...
0 Kudos
Goldbull
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
The Roff was very excited about gold last night on summit (to be expected!) and he was stating the next stop for gold was $1140 then $1400? Also said that HAR had a 63% upside and the dog 52% from here?!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Today should be the day to determine if we going up or pull back to 960
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The problem is every time the states open they sell like crazy and pull us back
0 Kudos
SkarlakenKoos
Frequent Contributor
The Roff is dof... ...I agree with Simon - I also don't trade what I don't understand. Gold is pretty much useless these days as all its uses in industry can be replicated (and improved upon!) by chemistry. As far as I know, jewelry is the only thing that it can be used for (and that is only because it is rare). Aluminum is an interesting case in point. Although aluminum is one of the most commonly occurring elements on earth, it was initially found to be exceedingly difficult to extract from its various ores. This made the little available pure aluminum which had been discovered (or refined at great expense) more valuable than gold. Bars of aluminum were exhibited alongside the French crown jewels, and Napoleon III was said to have reserved a set of aluminum dinner plates for his most honored guests.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Fair point Skarlakenkoos, but that also goes to show that Gold has always been the standard against which everything else's value is measured....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
One hell of a battle is being fought at $990 and Rocky seems to be standing up every time against the army of wall street boys with their gianni versace shorts. Yes folks its a prize fight and whose got the legs to carry this through?
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I suppose it depends who has the deepest pockets
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
Is the trend that fear=rush into gold? So a correction will cause another upward trend in GOLD?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Question about this "don't trade what I don't understand" thing: What about "trade the price"? Don't invest in what you don't understand, I get...but trade-the-price means you don't need to. Or what?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
IMO, The rallies that goldmines saw this past week were driven by sentiment alone. If I plot goldprice vs HAR on 5 year, there is no significant resemblance at all. And plot goldprice vs GFI u get almost a perfect inverse. So for short term goldmine trading ignore the price and trade the sentiment!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes, but no .. sure trade the price means nothing else matters .. but it is the selection of what you trade .. there things I don't understand get booted .. logic is I need to feel comfortable with what I am trading .. meaningless in terms of trade the price, but critical in having to trust my system ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In the long-term, yes, very little correlation. In the very short-term, however, the JSE gold index seems to track the $ gold price quite closely, for reasons that may not be entirely rational...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is simple .. if you like gold, then trade gold .. not a gold mine .. only trade the gold miner if that's what you like ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've got no qualms there. On spread trading I've got my little lazy derivative system into anything from coffee to currencies, the only criteria is that the chart should not look too volatile. I believe the big idea of a trend following system is to have your system running concurrently on as many unrelated indexes as possible, to always ensure that you catch a trend somewhere. Problem is that coffee (to take an example) as any commodity is indirectly affected by, say the SP500 movement. Currencies as well. Gold/silver seem to be one of the more semi-independent counters.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What instrument do u reccomend to trade gold?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You can buy the dollar-priced gold index on CME (Chicago Mercantile exchange) directly on GT247.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tnx Simon ,never seen gld before
0 Kudos