Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Lets have some fun..Forum..What car do you drive

venice
Super Contributor
And I forgot to answer the question. A 2005 Merc Vito Crew bus. Perfect for my lifestyle
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
I agree with Skaaptjop (Threshold). I have the New Toyota Hilux (D/Cab) & have Financed it as well, even though I have the funds to buy it Cash. (I would rather use finance for the vehicle and use my Cash in purchasing shares in 1 of the Blue Chip Companies).Info: When I purchase a new vehicle then my aim is to hold the vehicle for at least 10 years as I only drive about 5000 km's per annum & I always get approximately 50 - 60% of the original expense back (including interst payments).
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Once again - that is a choice. Your choice! It is the same choice made by 99% (arb) of society out there! They do it because the finance is available and because they have to. They also often do it because they dob't know any better. In terms of the numbers: it is a poor choice and is a financially unsound choice. For your particular circumstances it may be the right choice, it may be the only choice. I do not know YOUR financial position.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
We have a 1993 Golf Chico and a 2005, I think, Astra. Super boring.
0 Kudos
Pepi
Regular Contributor
Hey Alonzo - what happened to the Ferrari's?? Volvo V70 XC (for the dogs) very nice car, bare minimal cash outlay and has all the goodies. Can cost in repairs tho, but i only do max 8000km p/a. My 10c worth - say cost of car is 300k - unless one is mega rich - you finance it for 5years, use the 300k for BIL?? and then lets see after 5 years (even including cars running expences). that simple like me. Of co*****, I must add - all things being equal!!!!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Bought second hand Ferrari 250GTE in 1972 for R2000, spent 11 years having it completely restored at Viglietti Motors in Cape Town in the 90's,now in mint condition, only use for sports car runs or the occasional cruise.First new car I bought for myself was 2 years ago, A5 sportback, magic, and a 2006 Fortuner 4x4 for bundu bashing, prior to that only bought demo models or good 2nd hand cars.I know some may say "what a waste of money" but at my age, and the years of hard slog,time has arrived to blow some tin.I have no intention of being the wealthiest guy in the cemetery.in the past always made sure my ex was in a new car ensuring a certain amount of safety for her and the kids.My everyday vehicle still is a bakkie, as has been for over 40 years, currently a 2008 Hilux 250d.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Porsche Cayman. Yes its losing money day by day. Yes its a negative asset. But i love it!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
No - you don't buy the car. You put the money into BHP. Then you see after 5 years. Or you buy a lesser car. Or you pay cash for the car, borrow the money for BHP against a bond or on CFD's (allowing for safety margin) THEN you see after 5 years.
0 Kudos
sk_1
Super Contributor
c class 320 diesel Mer. Awsome power, very good consumption!
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Man must have some weaknesses. Because I don't trade on JSE or play horses - I tend not to mind the loss on a nice car!!!
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Another Honda Civic 1800 owner. Most reliable, no nonsense car I've ever owned! Plus an old 1999 Hilux DC 4*4 for fishing, hunting and the great Namibian outdoors.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
I have no intention of being the wealthiest guy in the cemetery lol.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Bangbielie
Contributor
Toyota Landcruiser.. Heavy on petrol but it's like driving your lounge around.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
BMW X5...and its just my run around car!
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
2004 cold 2800 TDI. Why buy a new car. Waste of money. He says .. I also have a CBR600 fireblade and I built a GT40 last year which is a petrol guzzler so I guess Im a petrolhead who knows hes wasting his money?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
1976 Datsun 120y. Practically falling apart, but more reliable than most cars packed with electronics. The cost of changing the tires probably equals the value of the car. But it gets you from point a - b
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Aah the 120Y. I had one for 4 years as a student and my first year in a job. It got me many places, and I also carried an entire rugby team on the back to a braai once.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I once owned an Etude. Most fun I ever had in a car. Road holding was fantastic and no car has ever matched it for me (like one's first love?)
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I have 24000 sq mts of industrial land adjacent to a cemetery, and have had soil test done for it's suitability as a graveyard, and it passed with flying colours.At the rate the adjacent one is filling up it's just a question of time before the municipality will have to knock on my door. Want to make an offer? :)
0 Kudos