Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Lets have some fun and get to know eachother

stores
Super Contributor
OK..I am a retired ex-mining engineer/manager from Anglo Gold, living on the KZN south coast. Somehow managed to get a BCom at Rhodes donkies of years ago. An active investor and trend trader (mostly ALSI but anything local or international that looks interesting, I trade/scalp). Prancing Horse said earlier that he has a Civil Engineering back ground and into farming now. We know that Preston has a CA and working at some bank I think. We know that Chartist (aka many names) has many fancy cars and has a trading website. We know that BC (something) is doing well and I follow all his posts, like I do Rams's posts. We all know Simon Brown the guru. We know that Barry lives in the Low Velt and I also follow his advice. Werner needs no introduction either. He lives in the Cape. Guys and girls please tell us what you do, your background, where you live, and also about your investing/trading strategy.
0 Kudos
56 REPLIES 56
Blik
Super Contributor
Glad to see another Rhodent on the forum. I went to Rhodes a while back and loved the town so stayed.
0 Kudos
Happy
Contributor
Blik, Rhodes the town or Grahamstown? If it is the town called Rhodes we must have bumped into each other...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
mighty old folks here & there lies the knowledge to be learnt for me. new to ost(this year) but an index trader for around 2 years mostly intraday .(alsi) ...and an indi lazy trader.(title borrowed from Simon of course). thumbs up for kzn!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Have a house overlooking the Indian O in Durban North in winter and a house in Sandton in summer. Will shift to Durban permanently sometime soon. Just need to finalise my old life in JHB. Once I had convinced myself that there was no need to be in JHB, I couldn't get out of the place fast enough.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
The town - so it is quite possible to have literally bumped!
0 Kudos
janne
Frequent Contributor
hi stores, i am also living on south coast in shelly. Retired and trading since 2005 on ost. Where are you, maybe we can organize a group to get together and exchange ideas. Phone me on 0739824811 or 0393150133 if interested.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Built the footbridge (which I understand was taken out by an abnormal load due to it's height) as you drive into Sheppies, opposite what used to be the Bedford Inn. That was in 1978 when I was busy with larger structure on the road from Port Shepstone to Harding. Interested to know if it was every repaired, or have they demotioned the rest of the structure?
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
been investing all my working life-bought my first flats when I was 19>went full time investing 18 years ago and left the corporate world where i was in IT and pensions admin>I have my own cc and started a family trust fund over 10 years ago.I cannot trade_not in my nature>too nervous but I have survived as a long term investor .61 now and plan to carry on with my cc and trust fund until at least 70 and then depending on my mental and physical health will make a decision whether to retire or not.got properties in uk and currently live in jhburg.have really enjoyed my investment journey and love this and the other bull market.learning all the time
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
been investing all my working life-bought my first flats when I was 19>went full time investing 18 years ago and left the corporate world where i was in IT and pensions admin>I have my own cc and started a family trust fund over 10 years ago.I cannot trade_not in my nature>too nervous but I have survived as a long term investor .61 now and plan to carry on with my cc and trust fund until at least 70 and then depending on my mental and physical health will make a decision whether to retire or not.got properties in uk and currently live in jhburg.have really enjoyed my investment journey and love this and the other bull market.learning all the time
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Hi Blik...Going back to Grahamstown in August for the College House 100 year old story since built. Some good ex Rodent mates will be there. May stay in my old room I had in 1978 (the same room Wilbour Smith had many years before me).
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Hi Threshold Similar predicament that I had...I retired early 5 years ago, had a place in Gallo Mannor...Left Joies permanently 3 years ago and its the best thing I did. Today, it is about three weeeks before mid winter, and I am currently wearing shorts, slops and a T shirt at 7 pm here in Ramsgate.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Hi Prancing horse...I think that the foot bridge in Sheppie that you are referring to, was seriously in the local media about 3 years ago, but nothing now....so probably repaired? )Good to talk to you Janne...Did you get my mail?)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Retired early? How did that work out for you? I packed it in at 35 - Sold my clients and decided to look after my portfolio,, travel, finish an LLB (which I had begun years earlier when I couldn't stomach accountancy anymore) and just generally indulge my lazy side. Worst mistake of my life. Fell out of touch with reality and discovered that most of my "friends" were business acquaintances. Varsity/school mates had all left the country and moved on with their careers.
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
I would have imagined that the majority of the forum would have been younger persons looking to expand there investments for when they are older, not mostly retirees.. No offense intended, I have really picked up a wealth of experience for you all and will still do so in the future.. Still in my 20s, work as an accountant for a MUR.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I dont know know how many of you know my story... I am sure do... I am 32, work in the software industry but have a huge interest in business management and figuring out how 'proper' companies are supposed to be run. then I like to buy their shares... I am a long term investor only, continuously building my portfolio of value/growth shares since 2005. I am a big JPMorganChase fan, as some know. This is quite a topic because many people are not that interested in this company and actually don't like it at all... but its not all bad... Warren Buffett and Ben Graham have contributed significantly to my investing logic as well... And i live in Somerset West which is some km's away from Cape Town... that's the short story...
0 Kudos
Chopchop
Contributor
I'm also from Somerset West, 26, helicopter pilot doing contract work in Africa and the middle east. Got interested in investing about 5 years ago, as soon as I started earning money to buy them. Only entertainment on contract is usually the internet, so I spend a fair amount of time on it. Also found that driving anything (even a helicopter) gets a bit dull after a while so plan to make a switch into this far more challenging world sooner or later. Also starting to get interested in trading and currently trying out Simons lazy trading system.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
eric13
Contributor
Originally from JHB own a guest house in PE, 2ND best move I ever made, best move was opening a trading account 5 years ago, mainly long term shares with average return of 25%, most common mistake I have made is selling to soon. Thinking of starting a little trading account soon. Maybe we can organise a group in PE to exchange ideas and have some fun. Thanks Stores, nice post.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I am nobody special. Being on this forum since 2006 (I think). I believe in the old fashioned values, a child comes after marriage. I am drawn to people who are funny and tend to stay away from people who have a serious outlook in life. Love to play pranks. I love my trading and I am constantly learning. I have one daughter, age 3 year and 2 months. I can not wait to impart my share trading knowledge on to her. I have many recording of myself, discussing specific share trading strategy which I view from time to time. Used to be argumentative but realised that being argumentative distracts you from your trading objectives. I have met some great folks on this forum, some has joined chartist website, and others have gone bankrupt.
0 Kudos