Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Liberty International

louisg
Super Contributor
Is the distribution a dividend or interest payment. ie taxable or non-taxable? Barry, John you both mentioned the company recently. Any thoughts on their performance(next year or two) in a depressed English property market/economy?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
john_1
Super Contributor
Dividends are tax free.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dividends are tax free currently, but the government wants to change it. Will make very little difference in any case, whereas at the moment, the Companies pay taxes, thereafter you get your dividends, so in effect the companies are paying tax on dividends for you. Now the idiots want to change it, so then the companies will not pay the tax, so your dividends will be bigger, and then you pay tax on the dividends you receive. the money you get in your pocket will thus stay more or less the same. So basically they are just gonna change the one paying for the tax on dividends from the company to you. Total waste of time and money OMO.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
John is right,also contact LBT or SBK, as in the past one was spared paying double taxation ,a special from to be filled in,hopefully still the same....They have as my understanding goes the only right to own shopping centres in th English contry side,no other firm will ever get that right unless ther is a change in the law,which is not likely as the locals in towns are afraid it will effect their turn-overs....They are also trying to fit in these days by buying in urban areas,prime property....i expect what u want to know is what are the prospects?....Well longer term,in my opinion excellent!....Just now they are showing that they were oversold,how ever it is likely to be a sideways movement for this year.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yah! they also get a % of shop turn over as retal..so it fits your profile exacly..it is the one value play I agree with as they had very low dept levels until they bought covent garden..a mistake in my view. the big thing is rand hedge..I don't no what the PE's are but they used to trade at about PE33
0 Kudos
Shamus
Occasional Contributor
http://www.liberty-international.co.uk/investors/shareholder_info/dividends/ Explains dividend and tax policy. There is a 20% withholding tax deducted from dividends paid. You can claim the difference (5%) from the British Revenue Services between the 20% withhlding tax and 15% SARS double taxation treaty. Dividend is non-taxable.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
What I meant to ask was if their payouts are considered to be dividends (therefore tax free) or interest (therefore taxable).
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Thanx for everyone's replies. So the 510c paid in the last two distributions is tax free? Is this correct?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Although they now also fall under REIT,they are a property share and John is correct....They are not a property unit trust or a loan stock.
0 Kudos