Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Long Term - Im still in, Short Term - Im taking a break 2 work on strategy!

Mr_S
Super Contributor
After the consistant losses i made by trading,i think its time i really get down to studying the market more closely, getting all and more information and diffrent trading strategies that i will use when i plan to resume trading next year! Its just so hard stayin out the market when you see obvious opportunities! But i guess its better than losing too much money! Any advice for me? burnt my fingers trading short term, but ill stick to long term for now! Guess that was my initial approach to the markets, untill i saw that i could make big bucks fast! lost focus i guess and partly got greedy!
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
divz
Super Contributor
Recommend reading Elders "come into my trading room" get a simple strategy and stick to it
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its my view that over the long term one will make bigger bucks with a proper long term strategy, its more stable, less nerve-recking and has an enormous potential when doing it consistently over many years. just keep costs as low as possible, re-invest dividends and you will be well on the way to building a excellent portfolio, just give it time.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Werner, i had a feeling you would comment about this. My long term strategy is basically to buy as low as possible and hold no matter what. Can you suggest another long term strategy that i can follow or is this basically what you do? btw, its also much less stressful holding a long term portfolio!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Mr S, what did you trade SSF / Warrants / instalments / shares? Are you down that much that warrants an exit from the markets?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yep i know the feeling lost 270k last year and have since battled to make any decent inroads, but will carry on regardless.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
270k? **** **** ** **** ******** *********** is all I can say!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
I traded warrants. I feel the need to come back with full body armour! i mean i started trading with the hope of learning very well while i was in the market. I had the notion of 'you cant learn how to ride a bicycle without getting on it' lol well i got on, and fell, now i wanna get knee guards and a helmet before i get on again! i mean what was the point if i kept loosing money? could have went on a shopping spreee or sumthing!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Asylum, you beat me, i lost R120k in 2008 (across all portfolios).
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
You guys have just cheered me up - I thought I was doing badly!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
We have all been there, some of us twice already. I am also just watching for now building up the reserves again. Coz the smaller the pot the higher the chances of loosing. Days like these are depressing indeed, property has cooled off, opening a business is suicide, shares are stagnant. Are there any other option out there that i am not thinking about?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
We should feel privelleged, we're making history by trading during these times. That's the way I console myself.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
it really depends on the size of their portfolios, a R270k drop could be very good if you have R10m capital? even R1m would be only 27% drop.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Perfect time to open a business, as long as you can make or save others money. The competition is fearful and you'll be ready to rock by the time the market turns up. On the other hand if the business is just one of those that hopes money comes along, then it's a bad time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well if you follow trading rules then opening a business in a "downturn" is a no go. Only for the brave. Like buying a falling share trying to call bottom, you are more than likely to get hurt.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
This could get interesting, but if you look at starting a business like long term investing, then i agree with Richard. Buying shares when they cheap for long run can be very profitable, i actually acquired quite a few more shares since Dec to now...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Come on guys its not that bad, It does get nerve racking at times. Trying to control the uncontrolable!!! Trying to make sense of logic when there is none. Must admit it does beat fishing
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Mr S, also making constant short term losses and it is driving me mad. Should also take a break and clear my mind; shoot a few polititians maybe??
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
What kinda trades you making, Scala? Short/long, why? Just wondering for interest sakes.
0 Kudos