Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Long Term - Im still in, Short Term - Im taking a break 2 work on strategy!

Werner_1
Super Contributor
thats the beauty of long term investing, buy when others are fearful, be fearful when others are buying... i think warren buffett said that once... one gets the biggest bargains when others panic.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
He meant "short the bajeepers out of the market when it's at the top" ;)
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Lately mostly shorts, with tight stops. My entries seem to be too late or too early. Will fix it.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Yeah, everything sensible says short, but the market wants up. I've been out for a bit until I see something I'm comfortable with.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Werner, i think yr buffets biggest fan! right?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yes, i think so... based on what i learnt over the years, i really think his strategy and method of investing is one of the best ways to accumilate wealth over long term...
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Werner i think what WB has done is amazing - but even the best get knocked and knocked hard. Berkshire is constantly been down graded. Even the best get sucked into the mess and make silly mistakes. He is old now does anybody know anything about who he will take over from him, the company would not be the same.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, that is a big uncertainty for Berkshire Hathaway shareholders which i think could put pressure on the shareprice when something happens to him. There are some very intellegent people that are in control of companies owned by BH, but recently some people speculated that his favorate Investment banker (Byron Trott) who recently left Goldman Sachs to start his own firm, Buffett invested in that firm, the investment philosophy is similar to what his is, but Warren already said that when he is no longer with us there is a letter indicating who will take over, until then we will have to wait. The downgrades are not so cool, but i guess insurance sector in US is under some pressure, i think he and berkshire will recover though.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
makes me wonder and worry abt my reinet investments should sumthing happen to rupert
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think these guys have it all sorted out, if you look at Johann Ruperts situation, he is much younger than Warren Buffett, so i think you dont need to worry much for quite a few years, then Remgro and his companies have excellent people and i am sure they will have guys who can do the job just as well in the future.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
werner have u invested in this company? and just for interest, which line of work are u in? and are u situated in JHB?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i've researched Reinet quite a bit, currently dont have shares in them, but really admire Anton and Johann Rupert for what they built up. My day-job is in Software Development and i have a keen interest in long term investing and spend all my free time researching/analysing or speaking about strategies and ideas i think up. maybe oneday i will start some investment business on the side, thats my dream... I am situated in Western Cape, Somerset West to be exact...
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
i would love to be involved in your investment business should you decide to pursue that venture!!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
as i said, its a dream, but maybe oneday it comes true... in the meantime if you like to join our small value investor chat email me - [email protected]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The only problem is when they keep going down long after you bought them. It gets a bit depressing and emotioinal. I know people will tell me take the emotion out of investing, but it's easier said then done.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think buying excellent businesses you like to be associated to help with that as well. so far i've had some shares get quite big drops, but always loved them still and believe in their future as they are excellent, but you are right, a continuous drop could be depressing, i just havent ever gotten depressed with my shares since i bought them, the ones i didnt like i got rid of, this helps. lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just remember, long-term, short term, the risks are equally great, but different. I would really not like to be looking at a long term portfolio entered post 2003, since recon I would be staring at some unrecoverable losses. Short term trading is very difficult, if not impossible in sideways trading markets, which is where we have been since November, and IMHO are likely to remain for the next while. Virtually every trading strategy I have ever read, requires a market trend to be able to make money.
0 Kudos