Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Long term portfolios

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Just out of interest, who of you guys still have a long term portfolio and have these portfolio stabilized in 2009? Mine has and i adding to certain positions consistently, also consolidating some positions by closing smaller ones out in favour of strategic changes and long term growth.
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Not applicable
I don't but definitely will be looking at getting in for long term this year
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I do, but only some. Keeping my powder relatively dry while I wait for the apuckerlips.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Many quality businesses available at great value. Just adding to positions as the opportunities arise. In time they will bear fruit. I guess the trick is to know which seed to sow.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Moved more than 80% into long term holds, my worst performer is Grindrod and Kumba, stop losses are going to kick in soon, I fear I may even held on too long.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Most of my portfolio is long term investment.Began buying in Feb '08, and done my damnest to limit losses ( trading certain stocks like OML for gains)leaving me with a net loss position of between 5 and 10%, on the portfolio.Not sure if this good ,bad or about average.My dogs are AGL,SOL and BIL.
0 Kudos
David99755
Contributor
What are the ideal long term opps?
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
I have 2 long term portfolios one in my name and one in my cc name-both are in credit with a mix of dogs and good uns.Both portfolios have recovered from an unerving low around mid feb I think-Old Mutual is my worst performer at moment although I did buy a few more-Liberty international and brait not looking so clever but overall I am in credit-bear in mind one portfolio is 12 years old and is about 60% up and the other is around 4 years old and is about 10 % up.This ignores divs received and a few profitable trades.I will continue to invest when money becomes available.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
thanks guys, i really like hearing about long term from time to time. the last year wasnt particularly exciting for my portfolio, but the years before were actually good. so i have updated my strategy and believe looking forward i a well positioned...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Geordie Lad, i was looking at Brait yesterday, the forecasted div is looking quite good, is this true, and what do you think of the firm at current levels. just for curiosity?
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Werner-not sure I am best to advise here as I bought high when I could have got it a lot cheaper.All the news coming out is reasonably positive bearing in mind the recession we are going through but the market rates this share very badly for some reason that obviously I am unaware of.I have decided to hang in as I like the divs and as far as I can gather there is some hope for future growth.I would guess it is going to be a long wait-maybe a couple of years?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I will look into it a bit more, maybe request an annual report, and read as much as i can, i really like the forecast dividend yield, just not sure how acurate the consensus on them, but i still want to find the content on their dividend policy...
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
What is Brait's core business? Surely if you deconstruct their affairs it amounts to tax arbitrage - either between geographies or between structures. As such, I suspect it should not be on a higher multiple than its longest whizzkid employment contract - say 2 years? And an atrcative yield would be say 30-40%? Am I missing something vital?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DST, thanks for the comment, it makes sense, i see the business in a bit of a different view now, a bit risky maybe even. These investment managers can do well but if the wizzkid is no longer there or they hit a bad time, it is not that consistent returns, etc. then i think there are better long term, consistent businesses out there.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Werner, can you put a <>last updated<> date stamp on the challenge site...yeah I know you gonna be hounded now about how regularly you don't update it:-)...apologies in advance amigo....Adios.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, will do, sorry have been quite busy, but will update it today. i promise... still need to add the dividend returns in, anyone know where i can get a list of all divs paid since 15 Jan 2009 which is 100% acurate?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
YNWA, done, updated and added date stamp...
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
will update shortly again over the weekend for thrusday's close.
0 Kudos