Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Long term...

MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
had been playing with some long term investment strategies that also allow for exits if the market tanks.. Anyways one of those is to rebalance the value invested in a specific share every time it hits the "stoploss". If the trade is cash-positive you skim the profits, if cash negative you top up to original level. Runing the numbers have some interesting results. Stop at about 40% for one thing. For those interested in testing out this approach and running the numbers. Have a look at the following shares: psg, acl and gnd.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
trick with this idea is that you are adding to losers and subtracting from winners .. which is surely wrong, notwithstanding that lots of investment professionals do this ..
0 Kudos
MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
The idea of adding to loosers is not applicable in all cases. For example, trading indexes.
Besides, wright or wrong does not enter into it. There is no moral code involved. like you always say, strategy may be to flip a coint. Only thing that matters if if it works.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
I have been doing the exact opposite, I have been toping up on the winners and gagging the trailers. It doesn't make for pretty reading as far as my portfolio looks, cos the percentage gained is diminished when topping up and exacerbated when selling the losses. But my portfolio is def looking much healthier in monetary values!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If your bactests check out, go for it. My profitable long term strategy depends on buying the most oversold highly cash generative companies.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Now that makes perfect sense to me as a long term investor, Buying quality companies at depressed prices. However, some troll will implore us to stop trying to catch "falling knives". Go figure???
0 Kudos