Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Looking at banks.

Not applicable
Any thoughts on this one?
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
Pleiades
Frequent Contributor
Yes, it's definitely a bank...Oh you mean performance-wise? Banks have been hit by interest rates and the new credit act recently, but are starting to look attractive again. It depends on their ability to perform in tougher conditions.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Bottom line Pleiades, do you doubt the banks will find a way to make money in almost any conditions? I don't and have started nibbling at some ASA instalments. Also, a hike in August is by no means a done deal, the NCA is doing a lot of the work for the reserve bank. Banks are looking attractive.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I never thought you would use "banks" and "attractive" in the same sentence B ?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I may be embittered and a seething cauldron of rage CE, but I ain't stupid.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
You married gravy! stupid is a relative term.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Have you seen Gravy nekkid? I don't think so.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
With Bisto used as body putty, you can make anything tasty.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
STD, dude, only body putty near these parts is when Sextoys-R-Us needs a mold..
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Have you got dyslexia, or do I need some penicillin?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Just a thought. . . how long you think it's gonna be before sanka asks another question about banks. . .
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ha! Set meself up for that.good one, dude. Still, fact remains...
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
B, I think I am stupid, still trying to figure out the "I ain't stupid" bit ?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I'm so sorry CE. But perhaps you have a really nice personality?
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
You will not believe !!
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
....and that's not all !
0 Kudos
Not applicable
speaking of banks finding any which way to make the bucks. Myself and just about everyone I know get at least 3 phone calls from various banks tellymarketing anything and everything. Ive gotton to the point of playing along until they ask for income bracket to which I reply "unemployed". point being who is footing the bill for all these calls to cell phones {although I do notice the 2 calls I got this week (interupted my din dins not to mention Isidigo)were after hours to save on call rates} is the provider the cell phone comanies, telkom ??? the revenue being generated for all these calls make investing in the provider seem sweet?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Good point TZ! And as to who is footing the bill for the calls. . . have you checked your latest banking statement?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Here is an example. In the bad old days you take a bond and the bank makes you take its insurence...now you can shop around but the payments must be made from a bank acount held by the bond holding bank. for this service they charge you a fee, so now they make almost the same margin with no risk.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I recently bought another property, they send me a fax "application for live insurance" According to the attorney, that is a must. I then asked for a letter to state that it is a condition in order to get a loan. Needless to say, the attorney called me and said that they now say it's ok, don't have to. They think I'm stupid B !
0 Kudos