Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Looking for a risky share?

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i started a shipping company when i was 13
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i had 20 shareholders each owning 5 shares at 1 cent a share
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
each pole had cost 5 cents....
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
I remenber 87, I was a third year student at tuks, used my student loan to buy "boumat" shares, that went horribly wrong, only paid off the damn loan years later !! eina
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so its true, penny shares are risky business.
0 Kudos
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
I remember being a third year student at Rhodes... invested heavily in SAB and BAT and still managed to pass
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
What year Jim ???..I was there 1979-1981...Finished a BCom...one of the first in College House to do it in three years...Got a 4% loan from Barclays when I started and plugged the bucks into shares....Dividends paid my beer and smokes money at the Union or in the Vic...Great days those were..Was a member of the BUMBLERS
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
At 12 was in a partnership with a friend aged 10,raising day old *****rels and selling live chickens privately and at the local market (closed some 40 years ago), a partnership we carried on till his death some 8 years ago.Although we each had our own main business, our partnership was in a hotel, liquor outlets, and commercial property.Those early days of wheeling and dealing was our university.
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
I also spent a few years at Rhodes and remember beers at both those fine establishments. I also did a stint as part-time barman at the ladies bar in the Grand and also invested that money in SAB's growth. I should at least write my memoirs, but I'm afraid the grandkids to come might not understand.. :)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Nobody in their right mind should be looking for a "RISKY" share (which is not to say that there are not plenty of people who do just that.) You need to look for high quality, undervalued (forgotten) companies that are being priced for a percieved level of risk that doesn't apply. This approach has made me a fortune over the years.
0 Kudos
InvestOne
Contributor
@ THRESHOLD: How would you identify this share? Quality of the share can be determined by the fundamentals; but as far as undervalued goes, how would you determine that? Do you perform your own valuations and use those as a basis to decide?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Buffet turned Wall Street upside down by looking for companies with the least risk but highest reward!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and his first rule...dont lose any money
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and his second rule: dont break the first rule!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Do your own homework. Identify interesting prospects. Thoroughly analyse the financials. Tons of additional info available on the web. If I decide to invest a "largeish" amount - I would speak to management, visit their premises (including a few branches.) Discuss the company with other players in their space for an insight into their standing in that community. Look at the past record of management... and so on.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Do your own homework. Identify interesting prospects. Thoroughly analyse the financials. Tons of additional info available on the web. If I decide to invest a "largeish" amount - I would speak to management, visit their premises (including a few branches.) Discuss the company with other players in their space for an insight into their standing in that community. Look at the past record of management... and so on.
0 Kudos