Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MACD TA advise required

cfm
Super Contributor
I'm looking for some more information regarding divergence on the MACD. Normal divergence analysis tells one to connect two tops in a bull trend and two valleys in a bear trend and then to do the divergence testing. I've seen a lot of shares where the price is going down while the MACD is going up. Does this also count as divergence?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
Yes....The Weekly Divergence is more trustworthy than the Daily. And to be used in conjunction with other stuff like BBands - Volumes - blah...It's a Team Sport.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
cfm, the only reason the MACD goes up while the share drops is because it's a lagging indicator.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
Yes, that part is correct for a fairly short time. But then the lagging indicator normally catches up. I'm refering to an extended time of the share dropping with the MACD rising. (Extended in the time frame selected for the MACD parameters.)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ah - the plot thickens . . . In that case zarp is right and I stand corrected.
Lower highs on the share with higher highs on the MACD (or the STO or RSI or whatever) indicate positive divergence, and indicates potential strength.
0 Kudos