Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MAY.....

Not applicable
who was the 1 that said go away in May and don't trade? because still holding SBK PUTS only to find that IT IS NOT TRUE...
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
this is one of those things that many people believe, and many even 'prove' it .. but reality is different .. like the idea that budget deficits are bad for stock markets .. which is also not true ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon it is a fact that the historic monthly returns for June are the worst for any month of the year with DEC and JAN the historic best months...May has an average reyrn..may is no the problem its june that sucks.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, then shouldn't we be selling in June ?? cept it doesn't rhyme ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an then of course, it depends which years you use to prove the theory .. expectably the years used make a huge difference .. (and oddly most who use the sell in May and buy in October idea discard October 1987 as an outlyer ?? huh ??) ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
thats why you sell in may...to avoid june and july...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
eisch .. so when in May do we sell ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
look... I found a much closer relationship to the futures close out than may...sell 4 weeks from close out and buy back day after in a bull and do reverse in a bear..only tested 3 years..so hardly conclusive but it did yield great results....see what that supper computer and your clever brain can get using that as a test
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh an here is you sms alert for a lazy buy .. if 4.30 be green ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tx. Stop 20% of cash employed?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, till SL in profit .. then lower low on index EOD is exit ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
TX.. will use future dirrect. Is that ok, or is that to much gearing?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
gearing about 9x on the futures ?? that's generally around what I use, but recently only warrants around have gearing of 5ish ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, I see alot of posts about the lazy system etc. What is this about and where do I get more info? tnx
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes please explain to me too..
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
They got it all wrong its actually "stay in may n play".
0 Kudos