Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MArgins

Not applicable
With the new margins takinf effect on Tuesday, Monday will prove very interest.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Day_Trader
Regular Contributor
Especially the 300% increase on some!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Bloody ridiculous,some of the increases.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
DT, not at all. The margins have come off markedly (in % terms) due to strong share price increases and as such the gearing levels have shoot through the roof to massive risk levels.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I suppose so,however surely increases should only come into effect in the new contract period...?Because at a whim I now need to lose contracts due to the large increase.Not really fair to move the goalposts halfway through the contract period....
0 Kudos
Day_Trader
Regular Contributor
Agree with you DT. Also new contracts for Dec were given at the same margins as the old Sept-contracts - even after share-price increases! So Simon - I do not agree with that logic...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
The margins haven't been adjusted in months and so risk went haywire making this a must (remember it is your risk as much as ours). Importantly it only effects a few smaller stocks (which already carry more risk, never mind the extra margin risk). Going forwards margin will be checked/adjusted monthly.

If you have to close some contracts, are you not over exposed - especially considering the gearing/risk level you have with this volatile stocks. All smiling when going your way, but a disaster when it turns (and they all turn one day).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree to an extent ,however my argument is that surely original positions should remain unchanged until sold or close out occurs.
0 Kudos