Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MMMMnn

Not applicable
DRD heading towards a support line tested 6 times the past 11 years and never broke downwards, keeping my eye on this one...
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
BAP
Regular Contributor
Are you suggesting it's time to get in soon? All gold shares pretty disappointing last few weeks despite record prices - thx to strong rand. I'm hanging on to a few HAR and GFI's but no move thus far....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
why you guys playing with mungrels when there are so much more thourough breeds out there?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Only when it bounces up from the support and meets your personal entry requirements.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Remember when getting into this one - the chances of a dead cat bounce are very likely. Seems to me when looking at the candles that today were a bit of a tug of war between the bulls and the bears. Tomorrow could be the first up day in a long time for DRD. Gold currently at $1140 - looking promising. Tomorrow could be a good day for the dog.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
DRD be down more then 30% while gold at record highs .. ouch but you people like your risk high ..
0 Kudos
babz
Contributor
People are dumping this share with very little knowledge how good business managers function. The fact that the directors opted the route that they had taken only shows "managerial skills" and that they have every confidence in their business. They know best in what they do. One of the directors went in so far as purchasing more shares in his personal capacity to show his confidence. This share is a "steal" at current levels. Dump if you want to lose or hold if you want to gain. Better still buy at this levels since the price of gold is currently only going north. This is a personal opinion.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
how good business managers function ?? how come they are losing money with a record gold price ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja its Techies vs fundementals..."Looking ahead The strength of the Rand continues to impact on revenues, the performance of the US$ gold price notwithstanding. I have said previously, and I remain of the view, that businesses should in the medium term be able to perform sustainably at a gold price of R250 000/kg.With the increases proposed by Eskom, of 45% per year for the next three years, electricity as a percentage of total costs will increase from around 19% to just over 30% by 2012. This means that margins will remain under pressure until we see further increases in the gold price. Our assets, and our strategic direction of greater exposure to surface assets are starting to demonstrate greater resilience against the risks that have become typical of deep-level mining in South Africa namely: volume and grade volatility, labour efficiency and costs, especially electricity costs. In times like these, for assets where the exposure to these risks is higher, the appropriate countermeasure remains reducing fixed overhead costs.This must be coupled with optimising the efficiencies of those assets with less exposure. Reducing Blyvoor's fixed overhead costs further through the current restructuring consultations and optimising ErgoGold to steady state will accordingly remain our near-term focus. Niël Pretorius Chief Executive Officer 22 October 2009"
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
DRD is a floating dog in my books, but even a floating dog can make you a bit of money if you play it right and watch it very closely. It's really a share for scavengers. Let's put it this way DRD won't be around in 10 years time, or maybe less.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes, maybe I can translate the CEO's words - I'm pumping some more air in the floating dog's lungs in an attempt to let it float a little longer. I know its dead, but what the hell, it's got spectator value and it sustains my inflated salary.
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
I remain at least a little optimistic about our Gold Miners. If you were a South African Gold Miner, what would you do to prosper in the future - especially given the recent doom and gloom stories around our Gold Reserves? I would diversify. Is Gold Mining really about Gold, or is it about the ability to explore new mineral reserves, project plan new mines, bring them on line, operationally manage the new facility and the staff optimally and sell your extracted goods for a profit (before or after processing). What is stopping our "Gold" miners moving into other more profitable minerals e.g. Uranium or Platinum. Isn't this what Anglo did by getting out of Gold? So for me the question is, which Gold Miners can turn their business around and diversify most quickly and profitably?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hmmm, from abrilliant article I reead on pricing shares

"If you are buying a company you look at it for the long term - how it is positioned in the market, does it have a competitive advantage and what does the company do with its cash flow to enhance shareholder value?...........look at the power of the brand. A strong brand improves the durability of the company over the long term. Interestingly the last thing ..... looks at is management. He wants a company that is so strong and has such market dominance that even an idiot could not stuff it up. While there are a handful of outstanding CEOs who have led their company for many years, by in large executives come and go and it is the company that remains."

Reality a company must run when the CEO and entore board dies in a plane crash....so "good management" aside what does this mongrel offer us?...Kwagga I like your idea but 10 years? Make it 5 I recon. this one will die or be bought out and moth-balled...OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I hate scavenging, but feeding off this dead dog has really proven to be quite profitable. The easy money's been made this year, now we need to really start searching for investment opportunities and short term plays like DRD. Survival of the fittest. More homework, less money. The recession has hit base.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Well spotted,Moosedawg.It was oversold and due a bounce off support.Not high risk after all.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The *****py fundementals gives you the *****py trends, but the technical theory works so nicely to trade the short/med volatility on this one. ==>Channel galore<==. (Ps Starting to approach resistance of decending channel. maybe start selling a portion now) OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well scavengers keep thing tidy and cleanup after the fact. Often the hunting pack that left the carcass forgot the tasty little bits to really do ones portfolio good on short plays....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
cause they ain't got no gold left. Did you see the UCT research report where they recon that SA gold reserves are up to 90% overstated?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I remember GFI finding plat deposits in about 2000 .. an they sold them ASAP.. thing is the idea isn't totally horrid, but there are other players also hard at work looking for deposits .. best bet to look else where, SA gold is very expensive due to depth, safety, etc ..an anyways SA simple running out of gold .. http://bit.ly/4b3nSh ..
Uranium .. tis a myth, the price spike 2 years ago was all hype, there is massive over supply and it is often a by product ..
0 Kudos