Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MTN-Take profit ?

platsak
Super Contributor
Made a healthy 50% on a future. Should I teke my money and run or go for gold.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Ninja
Super Contributor
Never take your money...set a tight trailing stop and see how far it runs....
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Ninja thanks for your advice, can you tell me what percentage is a tight tailing stop loss?
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Would appreciate views on tight trailing stop losses. I had on BIL, AMS and SOL this week, and they kicked in Wed & Thurs, with the result that I sold on a temporary intraday dip, and all three now sit above where I sold.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Take 3/4 off the table!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I presume u are trading derivitives....each trader has his own circumstances so no one can prescribe what u should do....If it were me as the market is changing to an upward phase(which can be seen by the regression line on the charts) i would put inplace tight ALERTS ON ALL MAJOR SHARES that i hold and lower the stop-losses to 20% beneath my holdings ,in case something major going wrong....as always only my opinion.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Platsak...its your call....MTN could still run up to 135 or it could tank as it is now OB on RSI and Stoch. MTN's ATR is currently running at R4...you could set your stop as a move south greater than R4. As for me I would wait for a reversal day down and only close out after that with a R4 ( 1X ATR)fail safe in the system.
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
Definitely keep a tight SL, with the deadline for the Bharti deal fast approaching, this one could go either way whether it is on actual news or speculation.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I trade SSFs mostly and have wiped out. So I'm giving you a bit of advice which I never follow myself (hence the wipeouts). . . . . Just take the money . . . a profit is a profit. Greed has undone my trades more often than not.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
look at YOUR system and rules. take profit based on that. I have taken profit on many trades only to look back and say if only i waited, I could have doubled my money. Latest I bought BIL at 178, sold and 189, and made a good return, and then it went up to new highs, but that was my call. On the contrary, I have waited for higher returns only to have all ly gains plus some more wiped out the next day on volatility. Bottom line, keep to your tarding system, and take when you deem right.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I decided that money in my account wont hurt me. Im not too sure that the MTN deal will fly.
0 Kudos
cope
Frequent Contributor
i am a secondhandbroker that buy and sell anything. for x i buy product and sell it to a mine. a buy a share the i sell it. the thing i learn is your first profit is your best profit. never sell for a less. even if it take 5 years. put R10000 in the bank and you make nothing buy something u can sell in 5 years for profit. if your share weeken dont sell it, put it in the store room and one day someone will buy it and the you make the price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Platsak, I was going through the posts and I would have said take the cash. The signal is not exactly sell but pretty close so no use gambling for a few cents extra. Rather enjoy ash and get the small interest OST will pay you ;-)
0 Kudos