Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MTN is playing the dog today considering the market

gleamin
Contributor
Whats up with MTN, why so sticky around the 10150 mark?
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Volume is petering out; trading below 50d MA and 40 MA, RSI declining on mild rally; 200d MA trending down et al. Should presume its downtrend...
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
I just did a quick correlation calc on closing prices for this share and the ALSI top 40 (used % gain/loss for the day). 2 month correlation = 0.61, 1 month correlation = 0.56, 2 week correlation = 0.21. I know this is a very loose test, but the basic conclusion is that this one is following the market less and less. Dont look to the general market as an indicator for this.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My thinking is that mtn held up strong at 108 to 115 when everyone was shorting, same thing could happen now if it moves above 106?
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Thanks for the correlation calc shard, mtn very unpredicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
gleamin
Contributor
MTN back down to the R101.50 support.........unpredictable doesn't do this one justice.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Must also admit, my TA said it was trending up (short term) but that dramatic sharp fall came very close to my stop loss.
0 Kudos
gleamin
Contributor
Any ideas as to why MTN is not enjoying the rally like the other bluechips? The banks are even outperforming, for gods sake!!!!
0 Kudos
gleamin
Contributor
Any ideas as to why MTN is not enjoying the rally like the other bluechips? The banks are even outperforming, for gods sake!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
mtn broke down though a very important bull trend on 19/07/2008 that started 5/10/2002, 40 day MA moved above the 21 day MA, it has no momentum, and the RSI is at 35, more pain coming
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This panic selling is quite ridiculous.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Volumes definitely not supporting a positive breakout - OBV still pointing downwards. Momentum - What Charting software do you use? I ask because my RSI calculations (amibroker using investordata) put MTN at around 50. This makes a difference in the overbought / oversold indications
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hi MOMENTUM-at level could MTN go to before picking up again.Will i be able to buy at much lower levels...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
unfortunately can TA not predict the future, it can only show you in advance where the market should go, is like driving behind a car and he is signaling he'll turn right and does turn right
0 Kudos