Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

MTN

Starsky
Frequent Contributor
nice trend today .......any ideas why besides the usual speculative offers ?
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Not applicable
besides the speculative offers and their rating change a while back...i still think that mtn is doing a bit better than expected..too much better...when will be a good time to hit a put warrant or go short??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's broken upwards from a rising wedge showing that the markets sometimes do ignore the laws of probabilities. It needs to clear the wedge by at least 5% to show that it has upward momentum, i.e. close above R149 today. Otherwise it might be a false upward breakout and fall back... In which case I'd short the hell out of it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
tend to agree...i'm def timing this one
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
Any fall could be big given the volumes going through on MTN. The total amount traded today is 3 times more than the share in second place. Last week as similar as well.
0 Kudos
Starsky
Frequent Contributor
MTN acknowledges the Bharti Airtel interest .How high can MTN go is the question !!
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
MTN will correct.Sharply.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
why would you sell 51% of a business that has huge future potential (proudly south african) and give away half of your hard work. What is a fair price for this?
0 Kudos
Starsky
Frequent Contributor
I read estimates around R 211 / share
0 Kudos
rsalie
Super Contributor
whose estimates where they? The Reuters article states the Indians want it for 165 but the MTN board is holding out for 180.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Be glad you did not short it. 8.6% up this morning.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
short MTN, bwabwahaha. buy what's rising, sell what's falling. Rumours have been swirling around MTN and the price has been flying, shorting was massive high risk and those who stepped up to that plate are in serious pain this am. The easy money here was to buy MTN.
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
pain is unbearable, went short last week before news of the rumour, and have lost lots, decided to sell out. I broke my on golden rule i.e. do not go short in a rising market as you can not call the tops, we trade too little to move the market
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
LOL 9 million shares traded yesterday.. move the market ha!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Pleeeeeeeze, need i remind you on talk with MTN and telkom and all the fools that rushed in (including me) got seriously burn't. Golden rule Mr Brown..."No such thing of easy money"
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
May I remind you about standard bank and who were the fools who rushed in at 117, the lesson here is that if you ere watching wich shares had unusuak volume, and movments.... you would have been long this puppy a long time ago..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
preston, easy money in the sense that one must trade the trend, not trade what you wish the trend to be.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Sorry about spelling
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
John, i have pick up the masive inflow of vol quiet a while back. I have been taking profit at each and evry pull back.My trading strategy has really improved.
0 Kudos
unsinkable77
Not applicable
This morning's run was amazing too. Call warrants have been shooting up. Interesting. The dreaded R word...will it affect us in SA?
0 Kudos