Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Mandela coins

NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
You guys think this is a good investment?
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Not applicable
No, doesnt pay dividends and gold is not a great investment. OMO
0 Kudos
NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
What if we looking at a 5 to 10 year period on those Mandela coins?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
maybe if he lives another 5-10yrs
0 Kudos
MMouse
Contributor
Depends very much on your view of the price you are paying for the coins now against the current price of gold and whether you really think the price of gold is going to go back up (which, according to trends, should be the case). But then you need to discount this calculation with the fact that gold is not and "asset" in that it does not pay dividends!
0 Kudos
MMouse
Contributor
Depends very much on your view of the price you are paying for the coins now against the current price of gold and whether you really think the price of gold is going to go back up (which, according to trends, should be the case). But then you need to discount this calculation with the fact that gold is not and "asset" in that it does not pay dividends!
0 Kudos
MMouse
Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Not a liquid investment. If you need to sell in a hurry , you need to find someone who is willing to pay that price. That is why scoin shop actively promote this product... rather buy Krugercoins.
0 Kudos
NOMAD1
Frequent Contributor
You the 3rd guy to tell me to buy Kruger coins
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
maybe, if the apartheid goverment came back into power, the coins will be worth a lot...imagine owning this coin that proves that a black man was indeed the president of this country...but then again it would be banned in this country...cant sell in Australia either, no black market in SA...USA if Obama still around?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
mmaybe worth more if the Guptas took over?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
No comparison here - the one established a Republic, the other's hooligans are looting and tearing it apart. Obvious choice...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i knew that would flush you out...now wait for the other old guns..anyway it was about the coins, not about minorities looting for themselves?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i knew that would flush you out...now wait for the other old guns..anyway it was about the coins, not about minorities looting for themselves?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you look at gold (from some quick views) gold has an CAGR of about 8-10% and considering inflation is at an average of 7% your not getting a lot of bang for your buck.
Satrix 40 has done a CAGR of 17%
and IMO the Satrix Indi will do much better in the long term, compared to top40 and gold.

I understand that gold is a diversification but honestly in the words of Warren Buffet: 90% of my life equities have been a better investment than anything else.
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
I bought 2 at R5750 currently valued/ selling at 16000. over about 4 years. Trick is selling them. I could get 16k if I went to open market but there is some risk there. If you sell back to SA gold coin they will over between 12 and 14K. Liquidity is an issue with this investment though. Regarding comments relating to gold price... the value of this coins has little do with cold price, The above coins are quarter ounce. Last point...SA gold coin are making these things in large amounts now in my opinion they are flooding an already small market. Also note most of these are medallions not coins. Coins are registered with reserve bank medallions are only registered with the mandela foundation. Hope this provides some insight.
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
I bought 2 at R5750 currently valued/ selling at 16000. over about 4 years. Trick is selling them. I could get 16k if I went to open market but there is some risk there. If you sell back to SA gold coin they will over between 12 and 14K. Liquidity is an issue with this investment though. Regarding comments relating to gold price... the value of this coins has little do with cold price, The above coins are quarter ounce. Last point...SA gold coin are making these things in large amounts now in my opinion they are flooding an already small market. Also note most of these are medallions not coins. Coins are registered with reserve bank medallions are only registered with the mandela foundation. Hope this provides some insight.
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos