Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

@ Manicks Re: Roffey

AJT
Super Contributor
For some reason not able to reply on your post... Yip, saw Roffey forecast and had a good chuckle. Who knows, maybe he is right, but I do not share the same sentiment, I believe the Alsi will be just over 36000 by year end (my view) - time will tell. If Roffey continually calls for a huge dip, eventually he will be right, but 99% of the time he will be wrong...
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Other forums have proved him wrong about all of his predictions for last year. Not to sure about him anymore....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Roffey predicts alot of things....Capitec [email protected]
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Market defiance of technicals accords with ongoing QE effects. Being a blinkered technocrat in these unprecedented times is the problem that Roffey cannot see. The market knows it will not pass any drug test, and withdrawal symptoms can be fatal. Eventually, a panic attack will occur, QE or no QE.
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
yes but when , in the meantime "trade the price"
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
The Esteemed Doctor of metallurgy really is doing the Roffey divergence indicator proud. At the beginning of December he detailed the following counters and said : Sell Capitec - up 15.56% Bidvest - unchanged Famous brands - up 2.16% MTN - "a total waste of time" - up 4.18% M&R - "one of the most dangerous stocks" - up 3.26% He didnt like: SBK - "could go down to 80" - up 6% ABSA - up 4,87% He said buy: DRD - down 3.95% Gold one - down 2.04% Simmers - down 5% All prices as at close on 3/01/11 ....% as per sharenet. So all in all a 100% success rate for the Roffey divergence indicator!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
his problem is that he is in love with gold and hates everything else and his pride does not allow him to admit he is wrong. I'm willing to bet that he does trad his own recommendation, he merely talks on tv like any other celebrity. last year I raised a complaint with summit tv to remove him and their response "the flip side of the coin is that there are very many viewers who love to watch the Roffery Review - and we would get into lots of trouble with then if we did remove him". their ratings are too important I gues
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
suppose the fact we are all commenting about him backs their theory...
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I must admit I enjoy "The Roffey Review", the best comedian on TV for a number of years now
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
He does get rather excited about DRD......
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The oke takes long term charts for his argument and then makes short term predictions, and it's always bearish, always. The more emotional people become the more susceptible they are for sales talk. The oke is a trading course salesman, and gold bear. He does what he needs to lure suckers to his courses. As for the 35% prediction - I think he's becoming old and suffering from a serious bout of dementia. No one is saying this market won't correct, but 35% is just way out there in the hot air category.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Thanks for your insights guys...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi there Forum Love this Roffey debate but why does Sponono want to spoil our fun and have the program archived No No check Prancing Horse Things out there can be difficult so what is wrong with a good old side show. So enjoy the show..after all he is good actor....Reliable commentator....well, well, you work that one out. JohnnyJon
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think Roffey is right - his timing is off - as was mine. I have also been an uber Bear but learnt the tough lesson of everyone fights a bear. No-one wants to see a market going down except the Bears - which then get hauled over the coals for being bearish and taking money from pensioners etc. This market can easily correct 35% and the scary thing is it could do it in a week - maybe a few days. Remember the flash crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash) where 10% was wiped out intraday before recovering just as quickly - with volatility sitting really low we are due for an infusion thereof - and high volatility equals correction or the start of another Bear. Kick (http://saequities.blogspot.com)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
WOW such confidence in predicting that Roffey will be wrong 99% of the time - so I assume you are right 99% of the time then? Why don't you also appear on Summit and give your views for all to view and criticize? Gold shares will be the stand out performers once the Bear returns and then everyone will be singing his praises. If you look over the last 4-5 years and compare the blue chips AngloGold (ANG) to Anglo American (AGL) - you would see AGL whipsawing with MASSIVE volatility between 550 and 140. It is still roughly 40% off its peak achieved in 2008 amidst massive price swings which would have made even the most hardened Trader sea sick if you had the stomache to stay in (which I doubt) ANG also has had one sickening drop during the midst of the financial crisis, although has exhibited heartening stability in volatile times. You will be running for Gold Shares in the not too distant future to seek shelter from volatility which will turn your stomache. :) Kick (http://saequities.blogspot.com)
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
No one claimed to be right 99% of the time, but the fact that Dr Gold Bull Roffey is wrong most of the time is a fact. When DRD was 600 was it not him that said it would go to 10000 and HAR 100000, yes 1k, and gold $2000.Anyone following his "tips" would now be in a position to see their ring without the use of a mirror. As for the impending crash,(a few wise guys on this very forum had been shouting of it's arrival a few months ago, by the way, I see they no longer post, most likely scorched to death in their shorts), I can't wait, the bigger the drop, the stronger the rise. Of course the Bears are right sometimes, but only sometimes. In the meantime we've feasted.My chosen shares for 2011, chosen last month were Rand hedges,take your pick, BAT,SOL,BIL, etc. Gold? maybe, but not for me.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so when AGL plunges you panic .. when ANG plunges you don't ?? sound liek a man with a bias ..
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
roffey admits he is biased to gold. The arguments here are the same as asking a rastafarian on his opinion on legalising pot....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL - maybe so. Although educate yourself (http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/05/gold-relative-to-sp500-1928-2010/) even though old still very relevant. Gold is not overvalued and still is "relatively" cheap. When everyone on this forum is worshiping Roffey for his gold calls I will get off the (gold) bus. Kick (http://saequities.blogspot.com)
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
He ignores fundamentals and that's his problem. 35% South will not occur on an economic recovery no matter how overbought the RSI is and that's what he is looking at.
0 Kudos