Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Manipulation which confuses TA

stores
Super Contributor
A deal for only R331 of Satrix Fini was made at 14h16 this afternoon (4% below the previous deal), dropping the STXFIN market cap by R40 million. No other deals were made today after this and all future TA graphs will show a drop of 4% in the closing price for today. The bigger problem is that it could trigger stop losses. Is there anything that the JSE or whoever can do in this regard? (i.e. adjust the official closing price or cancel the deal or something).
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
firstly, chart the real index, not the stx index .. secondly, complain to the JSE, but even if the agree, they not going to change the picture for you ..
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Also don't rely on automatic stop-losses on instruments that have 5 or 10 trades per day. Watch the index and sell manually.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Use alerts instead of stops
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Tks for the advice Saash. How do I set alerts on the site? I suppose that I could phone the call centre to find out but maybe others want to know as well.
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
I might be wrong, but I don't think you can set an alert on an index on OST, even though you can add the index to your watchlist.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
my detailed watchlist -> click on "A"
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
The A doesn't appear next to indexes in my list. Only against shares.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Thanks all. Got it and it also works for Satrix collective funds on my watch list.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Which browser do you use? I use IE 8 and see the "A" next to my STX40.
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
STX40 is not an index. It's an ETF. To me it doesn't make sense to put an alert (or stop) on the instrument, but rather on the underlying - in this case, the index.
0 Kudos