Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Market Commentators

WES
Super Contributor
I watch two tv stock programmes everynight, stockwatch on bdtv and hotstoxx on cnbc, man I tell you, you can't get more opposing views, the stock picks on stockwatch is "cash" "cash" and on hotstoxx it is Aspen at R 270 !, it like all the bears are on stockwatch and all the bulls are on hotstoxx, I not saying either is right or wrong, all I am saying, is , if these guys differ some much, how am I to know what to buy or sell. lol.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Rams
Super Contributor
welcome to the "market"
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
It does not hurt to hear them out. Then go and do the annual report reading yourself and make up your own mind. You'll be shocked as to how shallow these "experts" really are. These guys are TV salesman selling themselves so that you can go and invest with them and make them rich. Not all of them are bad but you must ultimately do your own evaluations.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i like the the one guy who says; you can buy at this level but "make use of your stop loss..."
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Yes, I agree 100 %, that is why stop losses is there, but if a guy says "my stock pick is cash" - you think the world is going to end tommorrow ! You can't catch a fish if don't have a line in the water.
0 Kudos
orange68
Super Contributor
attend technical analysis applied by riette kotze it helps with share selection in the end its still your choice... all experts if they were that good to always be correct would not be on tv but rather as simon says owning an island and relaxing
0 Kudos
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
....this cash cash thing is destructive for the "average" investor - trust me I have learnt the hard way! However MR T (on Hotstoxx) has called it wrong many times and you hear no more - for years he was pushing PPC...but not a peep nowadays! The guy from Stanlib (forgotten his name) - hell of a gentleman but very bad....Wayne MC also said a few years ago that the housing bubble/crash in US was just a small blip (before it grew into a huge monster)....old Shapiro probably the Mr steady...but there is a young hotshot from 360NE...very bright...super strong on fundamentals and FACTS ....the bad guys just guess too much...
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Wes, money is made over time through compounding. Short term greed gets you nowhere unless its an asset misprice which the market has got wrong. Then its time to pile in. Patience is a virtue in the stock market and any person with a reasonable amount of savy will be able to compound at acceptable rates. There is just so much of information around. Remeber also that through passive investing (Satrix etc) you can match the market. Is that such a bad think considering that only less than 10% of all asset managers manage to outperform the markets over time. The key to making money is compounding over time. That's the only way. Yes, take a small portion of your portfolio and spectulate. With a strong use of technical indicators you will loose less. Mr Buffet is a good example as all he ever read were the annual reports of companies which was all public knowledge. Therefore there is no need to get really sophisticated like these boffins would like you to think that it is. Do your analysis and there are a lot of books which tell you how to analyze a company. Its not rocket science and neither do you need to be a chartered accountant. Good luck
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
As they say TalkingHeads!!!
0 Kudos