Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Market Wizards

Not applicable
does anyone have any opinions on any of the three "Market wizards" books?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
first one very good. Have heard that #'s 2 & 3 not so great?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
all three have very positive reviews on amazon.com. Although people seem to prefer the first two to the third. And apparently one of the people interviewed in the first book was investigated by the SEC??? Micheal Lauer?? anyone know of him.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I read #2 - highly recommended... OMO
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
The first two are great and the third one while very good is not as good.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Read The new market wizards,very good
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
very nice inspirational reads. Wide cross-section of personalities and trading styles represented. The common themes that run through all the interviews are the heart of it for me - good risk and money management, methodical trading, and having an 'edge' of some sort. Also, 80% of them got wiped out early on in their careers before getting it right ; )
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
That one time loss is actually a charicturistic of many top business personalitis not just traders. They not afraid to make mistakes but if they do they learn from them.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
That 80% stat always intigues me. Does it mean 20% get it right first time?
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I made up 80%.. I can't tally it up from memory.. most of them lost big at least once and went to the edge. Some had to work a j*b to save up their next trading stake, some were bankrolled by fellow traders. A couple got it right from the outset and took no big catastrophic losses, but very few. I could make up some more figures. A few got it right from the outset. But only a few out of a cross-section of highly successful, legendary traders.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
this is slightly off topic but would be irrelevant to the forum to make a new thread. I priced 6 books off amazon & kalahari & this is the pricing i was given:
Technical Analysis explained - Martin J Pring
Market Wizards - Jack D Schwager
The New Market Wizards - Jack D Schwager
Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John J Murphy
New frontiers in Fibonacci trading by Michael Jardine
Candlestick Charting Techniques by Steve Nison
amazons total for all 6 was R1600 (exl shipping)
kalahari's price for the same was R2600(exl shipping).
now obviously amazons shipping will cost much more but will not nearly make up the R1000 discrepancy. Also amazons price does not include vat but most imports ive received from the States i have never had to pay vat.
0 Kudos
ms
Contributor
read the market wizards book it great. I also just priced a book of amazon and kalahari. Kalahari was over R800 more on one book.
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
When ordering books from amazon try to order more than one at a time. The shipping is often the same price as the book itself!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
books were great when we actually had a free market....now we might as well play blackjack. Interesting article.....http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Mar07/Whitney04.htm
0 Kudos