Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Market correction - min. 20% TOP40

prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Your reasoning is right, but do you know when we've hit the top or reached the bottom? Remember some of our "experts " having been calling the top for some time & been sitting on cash, will they be able to buy back cheaper than when they cashed in? Each to his own, as I've said , I can't get emotional of shares that I purchase, one lot I purchase with a long term outlook, and the others for a quick buck.unfortunately with the latter group I've mainly cashed in too soon, something I've should have learnt from my long term portfolio, because time in the market makes you far more money than trying to time the market.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Stores,refer to my argument posted here on "Portfolios"...Your CFD short is not a hedge, its a trade , so put that into the trading portfolio...at the bottom, cash it in and add to your RA portfolio.It has no relation to tax or the long term (RA) portfolio.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@RAM, it is an hedge. i understand what Stores is trying to say.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@stores, you are making perfect sense. You need to get the calculation and timing perfect correct.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its dangerous to create a strategy that required perfect timing though...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@Werner, i would say medium risk. If he get it wrong and out of cash, then he can hedge by sell off some of his initial stock.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
werner, impossible rather than just dangerous
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Argentina .....disappointed us again!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
They only disappointed us once this year.. "Deutschland uber alles"! :)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Now , this is a good chunk out of the market.....paydays
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
This looks like a shorters market now.Not a time to go long in my opinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Best time to go long, IMO. But that is just my style. It is all about resources right now - so I am stocking up slowly
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Yep correction over, bull run continues.................
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the sell off last night was inevitable because of Argentina...we have now retraced more than 400 points...45600 -45700 are the levels ....3.30 will give us the answer....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
rams if it was inevitable why didn't you mention it yesterday ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
default happened after US market closed day before yesterday...so last nights(yesterdays selloff) sell off was expected...maybe "expected" a better word...but yes, retrospectively.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and Gap on Dow almost closed...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
why is everyone so fussed about Argentina? A $500m default is a drop in the global ocean. And it is debatable even if it is actually a default
0 Kudos