Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Market will rally just before the US open

Tom168
Frequent Contributor
Gold is going to tumble!!! What others think, suggestions?
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
richardw
Super Contributor
Depends on the US job data, methinks. In other news - never hit "sell" when you mean "buy". What a chop I am. Chop, chop :)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Job data huh, when's that comming out? I'm thinking it's time for a little short.
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Technicians are cautious. "Given improvement in risk appetite and absence of significant ETF inflows we could see the metal extend lower to target technical chart support around $883," wrote James Moore, analyst at TheBullionDesk.com. While long-term gold fundamentals appear sound, fund participation may be required to give the metal any kick-start going forward. The recent rally to $1,000 "exhibits the unmistakable footprints of speculative hedge funds," said Jan Nadler, senior analyst at Kitco Bullion Dealers. Nadler came to that conclusion because "the buying stopped suddenly, and ETF holdings grew no further -- this, despite no material change in global macro conditions."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The stupid money (that's mine) is on a fall in the market; possibly a rise in the gold price (it has been on a downward trend recently, but ETF inflows are bound to resume sometime, and it's just leapt up quite nicely); and dollar strength / rand weakness. The VIX is at it's lowest level in almost a month; US jobless data was worse than expected again; we've had bad reports in the US mortgage arena. I fail to see how the market can rally from here.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, between 15:30 and 16:10 the Topi spiked up about 150pts... What made you think there's gonna be a rally just before US open, Tom?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's already open (daylight savings time), so my post was rather late, and the fact that they are moving up just shows how stupid my money is. Gold on the other hand is staying up... Oh well, we'll see how long it lasts...
0 Kudos
Tom168
Frequent Contributor
I predicted the rally but got it totally wrong for gold. In a normal situation you get markets rally and gold tumbling. Made a fortune going long at mid day! It will be another interesting day tomorrow
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ditto Tom, good to see u around as your analysis has always been spot on. I went long fsr (@11,50) and short gfi(@120) (which was thankfully stopped out)....hopefully the former should fly to the moon 2day with a rocket like fsrsbl. Me thinks golds are overextended in the very short term but I fully expect to see gfi hit R140 at least...this month! adios...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
US markets have had their biggest 3 day rally since nov 08 ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
The question again is...whay golds have to rally... that is the only part that is confusing...
0 Kudos
Tom168
Frequent Contributor
Lets all have a guess or used our knowlege to see which sector perform the best today on the JSE. My bet will resources shares although financials share will also perform. suggestions?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Advice please,got in to OML at the 580 levels,should I use this bounce to come out of it,or should I hold for a while,I took a 1 month view on this stock,got into the trade lastweek..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
newbee786, you need an exit strategy before you enter .. an the forum is not an exit strategy ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The stupid money (what's left of it) will be on the gold miners today - with both the markets and gold price up, what more could they want?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Decisions, decisions... Consider letting a trailing stoploss make that decision for you...
0 Kudos
Tom168
Frequent Contributor
this relief rally will last towards the end of the year maybe OCT. it can bring this share back up to the 8, 9 rand level. Hold
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Agreed. If the market calms down, GFI and friends will follow GLD down.
0 Kudos
Tom168
Frequent Contributor
Resources leading the way at moment. i think next week tuesday there will be a small little wave leg down till end of that week then the following week will be a big wave up!!! WE shall see, any other opinions?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What might be bullish for gold, is that China said they are concerned as to whether their US treasuries will retain their value. (China is the largest holder of US debt; it forms approximately 1/2 of their reserves.) Will they start looking to hold more gold and fewer treasuries? (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090313/as_china_us_economy.html)
0 Kudos