Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Massmart deal - good, bad or neutral news for the consumer?

Not applicable
Is this deal going to benefit us as the consumer or are Massmart going to us Walmarts huge buying power to buy the products without really changing the prices here in SA thereby increasing their bottom line? OR are they going to pass the buying power down to the consumers, in other words can I look forward to finally getting that huge 3D tv I've been eying?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why do you want a 3D TV ?? currently the technology sucks ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i was pretty impressed when i took the demo at Dion Wired. I could get used to wathching tv like that. but the question is still will i be able to afford it after the Massmart deal.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In 2 years time you'll be the sucker who has the older model where you still need to put on the nerdy glasses to be able to watch 3D. And you paid R30K for it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they got non glasses 3D .. but they still not awesome me thinks .. and viewing angle still an issue ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I was going to buy the 3D TV for the kids in December but read some bad reports on how watching 3D for long periods damages the eyes, especially in younger children. At least it stopped me wasting R20K.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shoe!! this has turned into a tech forum .. Back to the deal , I dont think that Walmart will pass on anything . Its not in their nature . The only reason thay are here is due to huge oppertunities they see in the frontier countries.. i.e. nice fat margins..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they have to because their competitors are competing on price .. so they will compete on price as well ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well Simon, you shouldna be watching with your eyes pressed against the screen. Especially not them Japanese movies you always watch..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you mean the magna .. you gotta be close to get the full effect ..
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
There's another factor which leads me to believe that price benefits will not be given through - in SA not much of a consumer resistance to high prices. Example - I've seen people buying their trolly full of groceries at SPAR during normal business hours, notwithstanding that P'nP is 1 km down the road (assuming P'nP is indeed cheaper). Regarding luxury items, much will depend on suppliers' eagerness to gain market share.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
Chattychat, not sure I agree with you regarding price competitiveness between Spar and Pick'n Pay, Spar has taken market share from PnP, even look at this site share growth over last 3 years PnP 43,21% and Spar 79,12%. Not everybody can be stupid, consumers are voting with their feet.
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
Wallmart's key strengths is that run an extremely efficient logistics and warehousing operation on a global basis. They drive huge costs out of the supply chain and in turn pass this on to the consumer. Woolworths and Spar are the only local operations with any centralized distribution setup worth mentioning, the other retail groups are fiddling in this space. What Wallmart do well is to access product in the global market and leverage their buying power to secure the very best prices, when Wallmart buy they buy very big. Local suppliers may not even get a look in as they will source from the four corners of this earth. Hence Wallmart will be a significant player in the African market and will drive prices down for the benefit of the consumer through immense stock management and their buying power, others will have to wake up.
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
And hopefully all businesses are based on profit. Otherwise there must be some dark motive. What's your motive to be on this platform? I suppose accumulating losses?LOL
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Thanks, however it depends from what level you are taking these stats. In my mind no businessman will lower a price if there is not consumer resistance - or only if suppliers wish to dump old out of fashion stock, or only if the 'sell by' date is dangerously close. Any consumer wishing to enlarge SPAR market share by purchasing consumer goods at a higher price level than competitors' offer, has no access to the altervative, or is stupid.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
More importantly (for greedy little traders anyway) is teh impact on the other retailers. Wallmart China-discounts everything: white goods, electronics, clothing, footwear, pet products... She also sells everything from caravans to budgies. Her scale is vast and her pricing power matches this. How are our "little" retailers going to deal with this new kid on the block?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The obvious solution might be to find their own suitor - the like of a Tesco.
0 Kudos