Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Masters Degrees

barry_1
Super Contributor
I see on CNN that many Americans think the their Masters Degree is absolutely worthless....Most say it left them with a debt of $120,000 and now they cannot find work!...of course here large companies hire people with any kind of a degree,but i wonder if they have not become just a swizz to make money for the universities etc.?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Wino
Super Contributor
Unless of course it is a masters in engineering or medicine. For these people, work all over the world is available.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Agreed,this refers only to business management and economics...See my side bar of my blog
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
It (and other degrees) may no longer provide a guarantee of an elite job... but try getting those jobs without it! In fact - it is progressing to a state of "try getting ANY job without it."
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
agree, Thresh, its like saying you dont need money to be happy, try being happy without it!
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
I'm in Engineering, and I don't believe a masters is necessary... BUT, in a competitive market, where more people are being educated, it just helps give you the little extra I guess.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if you want a fancy degree you can buy it online for $75 plus postage ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
In my field, Enviro Science a Masters is almost non negotiable - particularly an M.Sc. - if you want work that is.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
In taxi driving. Masters (advance) drivers license is required for CBD traffics
0 Kudos