Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Metastock / PDS Net

USERX
Contributor
1.Can anyone tell me if the EOD data from above includes data for the US dollar index. I think not, as I looked high and low, phoned them as well and they(or the person I spoke to) does not know what I am talking about.
2. If not, how and where can I get this data and history, and how do I get it into Metastock every day, as the updater will prop not do it?
3. The same goes for other indices like $USERX etc. that is not in the normal daily download.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
USERX
Contributor
OK, lets try again. Is anyone following the US Dollar index at all?
0 Kudos
USERX
Contributor
Come on! Someone must have read this! Not even a sarcastic remark. Does no-one follow the $USD or is it to basic to deserve an answer?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ux, I get EOD data from PDSnet and I've just checked to see if there's a USD index. There ain't.
But what I do have is a kindofa thumbsuck DIY index which I use just to get some idea of how the 8 major currencies perform against eachother. I get my basic data from here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/currencies/fxc.html
I put all the data into a spreadsheet and then average out the exch rate per currency vs every other currency. Update a few times per day.
Nice thing about this is that it gives you a strength/weakness indication that tells you how strong a specific currency is across the board without having to compare it to the yen or gold or whatever.
0 Kudos
USERX
Contributor
Thanks AvS. I was about to call you by name on this. Looks like I will have to do the same. Will consult you again if I battle, but sounds simple enough. So is there no-one in SA (Data Provider) that can supply $USD and other popular indices?
Huaron, what are you doing?
0 Kudos
USERX
Contributor
The other problem with this way is your history starts the day you start doing it and if you miss a day you have gaps?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ja that's right. If you want to do any serious TA on these numbers you'll have to run an auto-update macro and ensure that your modem auto-conects when necessary. Too much schlep . . .
The gaps don't really matter since this system is for doing index comparisons only. eg. If USDgold suddenly rockets when the USD weakens against the yen then I cn fire up this SS, do a quick update and see that the USD is actually sideways (compared to 7 other currencies), the yen has strengthened and therefore gold strength, in this example, is not really related to the USD. I haven't found the gaps too much of a problem. Yet.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Geeeeeez, this all sounds so impressive. Question: after you hit enter and your spreadsheed is undated, what do you do, flip a coin ?
0 Kudos
USERX
Contributor
You got it! But mak sure it is an undated coin ;)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ya, I've got a dartboard portfolio and a coinflip portfolio. But they're both doing badly compared to my tarot card portfolio . . .
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I have seen some exchange prices from the Sharenet example database for Amibroker. Don't have it with me, so I can not confirm this now. May phone Sharenet and ask them.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ermmm - before somebody thinks I'm being serious, allow me to point out that that was supposed to be FUNNY!! ha ha
0 Kudos
USERX
Contributor
I mailed their techies and they replied that they will forward my request to management for consideration
0 Kudos