Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Millionaires and Billionaires Row!

Mr_S
Super Contributor
Anyone driven through Sandhurst (Sandton) recently. I go there occasionally for some work, but mainly for some motivation to keep going! Wow the houses are just heart stopping! Recon in about 15 years time ill be able to move into oxford or coronation road :-).
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Not applicable
take a trip to the hamptons in long island,NY. different league will make you feel sorry for yourself
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Well I'm getting ready for my annual trip to the Italian reviera, and enjoy looking at the yachts, cars and fancy villas from San Remo past Monte Carlo through to Nice.Makes you realise if you think you rich here you feel a pauper there.Remember seeing Princess Mariana {google her) at Imperia harbour with it's chopper on board, spoke to one of the crew who said you could buy it at the bargain price of $175 mil (R1.2bil).Boys with money there have SERIOUS money.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
comparitively there will always be someone richer. My philosophy in life is to make sure I have enough to live a very comfortable life, enjoy the outdoors and time with family. Be content with yourself, else you will always be unhappy
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Mr S, my old friend used have a saying....."You can't polish a turd" Even the best house in JHB cannot compare to the simple pure joy of living on the coast....give me a shack in Durbs or Cape Town.....you can keep any palace that city has to offer.
0 Kudos
Skerp
Contributor
You sure got it right their Ninja!!!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
not a damn, got place at coast,and mountains but you can't beat living where the Umkhamba tree grows.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
that must be a grazing field, where horse prancing about
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes. There are people with lots of money out there. The question is: Are they happier than I am on a daily basis. I seriously doubt it. Your dreams of having money will probably give you more satisfaction than actually having it. People are generally ungrateful *****s, so the high your Ferrari gives you will only last that long, and then it will just become another car. The same goes for any material possession. The main problem in the world today is people are brought up to believe that money makes you happy. It doesnA't, and no matter how many times people hear this, they still donA't believe it.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
far healthier than the concrete jungle, less stress and the outside chance of getting old before croaking
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Anyone driven thru Constantia lately..I was real surprised the other day, looks just like Sandton. Electric fences, cameras, guard huts and walls so high you cant see the houses, oh and nice trees...
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Thats all good and well, but lets consider the guy who gets there from absolutely nothing...thats pretty amazing! havent heard of anyone that rich who started from scratch, maybe you can enlighten me? Personally, a massive mansion would be the pinnacle of my life, its not really about being happy, its about knowing you have achieved what you set out to achieve. Let me first get the money then decide if it will make me happy :-) omo
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
I know that they say you can not buy happiness, but when I achieve my first billion I will test the saying.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- It's only a rich man , who'll tell you money is'nt everthing. - I've been rich and I've been poor and for some reason, I've always preferred the former.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I look at it this way - forget happiness: Its better to be rich and sad than being pooor and sad!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
What is,or how much is the question, to being rich.my gardener thinks my son is rich, who in turn thinks I'm rich.I think one of my best mates is rich, he thinks Johan rupert is rich and so we go.One can be rich and poor, or both poor and rich at the same time, it's all in one's upbringing and mind.
0 Kudos
jo_soap
Contributor
There is some research done on this. (CanA't remember where I read about it) but the graph between money and happiness is like an inverse bell. Up to a point you can add more happiness by adding more money..then it levels out..then it actually starts going down as you find your life is controlled by material things. Like, if you have ten houses they add ten times the amount of head ache without actually adding any happiness. I found it interesting..just need to find that spot just before it levels out.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I don't understand this analogy. The only reason you think like this because you still think money can bring you happiness.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, thats right but the point is this, if you going to be unhappy, its better to be rich and unhappy. If you poor, you have no business being happy unless you living off others.....
0 Kudos