Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Mines buy land for workers that are retrenched

Not applicable
Couldn't mines buy small plots of land for retrenched workers so they can do subsistence farming with easy crops such as tomatoes and hemp (not dagga). This would reduce unrest and if retrenched people coud have small plots of land throughout the world it might get the world economy going again.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
grommet
Regular Contributor
Nott easy to farm. Trust me. Plus they'll still have input cost. Farming is not free although most peole think it is.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, not easy to farm, espeically tomatoes .. and short answer si that nobody wants to merely survive .. further the reality is that just growing tomatoes ain't feeding you for the year ..
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Hi Eddy, support your philantropic view. Concerns listed are not killer concerns and could be handled via apporpriate training/skills development. Target group as u mentioned are those that have been retrenched so basic survival/lower order Maslow needs - obviously when these needs are fulfilled then people strive for the higher needs so a pipeline effect is created.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but what do they do for the 8 or so months they waiting for the harvest ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Plant potatoes in a grain sack.. that way you can feed your family on a tarmack with 4 or 5 bags arround the year..
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
I'd like a small plot to grow dagga. But that's just me.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Yeah, but to qualify under this thread you'll have to retrenched. I wanna be retrenched from the OST - that way I will be paid to ***** o f f
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
Already been done. Diepsloot, Soweto, Alexandra..........
0 Kudos
Maggie
Super Contributor
John, what is it with you and potatoes....I think you could be that potato that falls off the truck in the simba chip advert???? or perhaps a couch potato!!!!
0 Kudos