Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Mobile Intenet and Devics

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Its a pity our market doest have any big player in the mobile space. Jim Cramer believes it, I believe it and i am sure that mobile internet/devices is going to be one of the biggest trends to emerge in the next decade... LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Research In Motion , Palm and Qualcomm were started at overweight by Morgan Stanley, which also started Motorola at underweight. It expects smartphones will see a 37% compound annual growth rate through 2013, driving significant share shifts and robust earnings growth. But Motorola has limited upside as its handsets achieve margins of 4% to 7% at best and its networks division sees further deterioration, the broker said.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
kwagga
Super Contributor
Jim Cramer is a *****.omo
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
maybe he is, but his idea on mobile internet is not...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Not at all, I just don't like the man.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol, i think many people dont like him, he goes a bit nuts sometimes... i dont watch his show, but read now and then comments on the website that come up.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
the best place to be would be in a mobile telecoms comapany piggy backing off the possibility of increased data usage via smartphones. continues connectivity on the net is on it's way, and you'll be making internet calls before you know it. MTN is my choice.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yes, that makes sense. i have some shares in Research in Motion (NASDAQ) and plan in crease it shortly. MTN is definately the way to go for Africa's growth on mobile, etc...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I think these mobile cellphone companies are medium term plays. Palm lost 97% of it's value due to other companies releasing smart phones at the speed of light. Google Nexus1 for instance will take huge market share from Apple's Iphone. The barriers to entry in that space are few and it has become a crowded trade. Garmin and TomTom lost 20-30% on their share price when Google releases a GPS app for smartphones. Keep a carefull eye on RIM. In a short couple of years time they might not feature so strongly in that space anymore.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Google have also release a similar phone
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, the Nexus One... yesterday i think... I think Apple and Google are both very awesome companies, but quite high, RIMM is a better deal right now. I want Apple when they correct (if they ever do)...
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
iPhone is safe from Nexus 1, at least for the forseeable future. However, Windows Mobile is toast and Nokia better get it together fast, along with the other Android-using companies. Who will buy a Droid after the Nexus 1 is out?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
No he isnt. Jim Cramer is fantastic. One need to start appreciating diversity. The man is great, just like Dr Clive Roffey.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Richard, i agree, iPhone and Apple are safe, possibly the best company ever but i am nervous for when Steve Jobs steps down as CEO, we saw what happened the first time... Apple has huge premium on the Steve factor. Guys just remember he is actually the genius who created graphical user interfaces and microsoft got the idea from him. So far iPhone hasnt taken any market share away from RIMM, actually the opposite happened, smartphones are becoming more popular and as a result RIMMS earnings have exponentially grown. check this link out: http://www.valueinvestorsa.com/RIMSnippetFromAnnualReport.jpg - then remember when iPhone was launched, i think in mid 2007, RIMM's revenues is strongly up. I think the NexusOne will not take much of their market, the guys here in SA just dont know RIMM's product too well, its the best seller in USA and Canada and they have enormously loyal users who will not trade for anything, even the ones who want an iPhone have both phones... each have their strong points, BB and corporates are a perfect fit... I think the mobile market will go into a huge growth phase shortly and RIMM, Apple leading the way... The US bulls on mobile internet all hold these companies including google, but not for their new phone but for the use of mobile searching and advertising which in 5 years is expected to cater for 80% of the searches through the google system (that is from mobile devices)... This will be a big trend.
0 Kudos