Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Momentum portfolio

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Been doing a buy the winners portfolio for 2011 and doing an update tomorrow 1pm, so far this very simple idea is totally whipping the index up over 17% YTD while index is flat (as of yesterday close) ..
http://www.justonelap.com/webinarDetailUpcoming.asp?intWebinarID=84
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Preston
Super Contributor
Mr Brown, please do a webseminar on key criteria on shorting a share i.e shortening cpi (just kidding on the last part)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, what type of system do you use to determine the winners? do you have a data-feed that tells this to you?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
using top40 I buy ther top 5 movers for 2010 and hold for 2011 ..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
oh ok. so its a long term type thing, sounds very cool! will check your webinar out on it. Tell me, is John still on this forum?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hello Simon. Can you user the filter tool on this site to check the % gainers or winners? I am battling to get the filter to give me a sensible answer.
0 Kudos
MarkD
Contributor
yup, as a novice myself I've also done the 'buy the winners' approach and it has generally stood me in good stead - also beaten the index over a 2 year period, but only by a couple of % so trying to refine my selections a bit better.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can, just do YTD at 31 dec .. But I do manually getting all data for the Top40 stocks ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon, makes sense.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Its nice to see BTI coming tops in market cap and second in 52 week yield at 42.22. Guess we should be looking at Woolies though.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya BTI not in my portfolio as it not in Top40, but it will be .. likely from 1 Jan ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Simon how much of an effect will BTI have on the Top 40 and on SATRIX 40? Will it have a significant effect do you think?
0 Kudos
EyeNvest
Contributor
Sunday Times supplement,Top 100 Companies, listed the Top 50 Companies over one year. Your comments on using this list vs JSE Top 40 for a Momentum portfolio.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
could be as much as 12% and will reduce resource expsoure by some 5% ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't know the methodology they use, nor have I seen the list .. but in short worth a look ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon, thanks for replying to my initial question.
0 Kudos
EyeNvest
Contributor
Thanks Simon, http://images.businesslive.co.za/PDFs/top100-2011.pdf should get you the info. (save you having to get it from the cat litter box:) got a couple bob in this years Momentum portfolio and also looking at refining for next year.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well, I am pleased to announce that my portfolio just broke through the 20% barrier for the year. My stock trading portfolio is pretty flat though - but that is becuase I don't short, so I am not too stressed.
0 Kudos