Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Mommy car suggestions

Blik
Super Contributor
Ok I know the forum is full of wisdom...LOL, so looking for suggestions and reasons why, for a new mommy car. It must be able to, hold at least one pram, a camp cot, two car seats and adult luggage. Was thinking of Toyota Innova or Verso, or Chevi Orlando. Any preferences - am curious?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Quakedog
Super Contributor
X6 is my preference!!!!! Whoop Whoop!! Screw the prams!!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Look for a good second hand Chevrolet Captiva. Good value for money in a country where almost nothing is good value.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
go for the Merc GL class...car seats, prams and cots all can be built in!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Will certainly test drive the Captiva - but not a huge fan of SUVs in general. Would love a Merc or X6 - but not sure the wallet can stretch that far.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
dont forget the Chrysler Grand Voyager...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
@ Quake - humour that is a whole anna debate....but prams, cots, seats, bumbos,wash tables, portable baths etc ad nauseum seem to be the order of the day nowadays. Not sure how my folks managed with 3 boys in a stuffed old Passat!
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
Check out VW touran. Lots of space and a lot more features available than the verso.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Took an Innova out for a test drive....tis a hungry beast!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
BMW X1 or X3 if you have the cash. X1 is interesting because BMW offers prime minus 5 finance. X3 is the same size chassis but bigger headroom. Very economical, not too flashy and brings you the BMW experience.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
blik, although you did not mention her as part of the "carry on" , i would not throw a mom in law into an innova, see http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/11/review-toyota-innova/
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
if you are looking at the likes of captiva, then also perhaps look at the mazda 5.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I checked out the Captiva - very small back seat area, and boot a little small. would rather go for the Orlando, if going with Chev. Mom in Law can drive her own car! although at the moment, living in a small town means most dealers dont have a model of the car I want to test drive.....grrrr. You would think that they could get a model....but apparently not!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well if you leave out the mum in law, then you dont need space for the bag?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
that's just rude....LOL. Although speaking of bags, I do need extra space for the clubs
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nissan Livina x-gear
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Blik....Get a Honda CRV...the 2.5 l one...half way between a SUV and and a car....I am on my second one now and very happy...Honda has demo models which are about R50 grand less than out the box...Let us know your decision and final outcome..
0 Kudos
carrot
Occasional Contributor
I second the Honda CRV suggestion, but the diesel model. Fantastic fuel consumption & lots of space
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hmmm Took an Orlando out for test drive - didn't like too much - didnt feel part of the car. Next stop Verso. Dont have a Honda dealer here, so cant drive that. Would like to though.
0 Kudos