Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Mooi River Index

13 REPLIES 13
Preston
Super Contributor
Interesting article Simon. It illustrate my point , gold is a useless metal, yet everyone is drawn to it uselessness. I rather be an investor in plats. I am aware people say trade the price, follow the trends, but anyone with a logical mind will say , why? It is a useless metal. "It gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
See, its just another imperialistic capitalist conspiracy to undermine the poor underprivilaged working class and to exploit the masses for a few select ultra rich.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
If you were from Mars, and were puzzled, which one of your heads would you scratch?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Yes,and how do you know Martians have logical minds?
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
You are all Bloody Agents!
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
But seriously now, historically gold was used as a hard currency, and that has just carried forward today for the banks in particular. It is easier for us to carry notes around, and the banks keep the gold in the holes for safe keeping.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lots of things ahve been used as hard currency .. silver, copper, sea sheels .. so what ??
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
its all physcological in value.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
..... I have been collecting Kauri shells for decades.. its only a matter of time before we return to the shell standard, and when it does I am going to styling!!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
I wonder how accurate the MR index really is as a barometer of economic, what it does say is that road is the preferred mode of goods transportation as opposed to rail.My office is less than 100 meters from the main Dbn - Jhb line and at times I think we could actually have a lunchtime braai on the tracks and the chances of getting hit by a train are minuscule.South African ports have become some of the most expensive in the world, and many shipping lines are giving us a miss if they can, especially if they need to come in to receive spares and are now using West African ports instead. A number of shipping agents have closed up shop and the remaining ones have cut staff or moved them to Maputo and Beira. Grindrod (Durban based co.)have got involved in the Maputo harbour big time, maybe they've seen the writing on the wall for some time. I wonder how long before the Maputo - Jhb link gets on a par as Dbn - Jhb run.Talking about GND, I see they've shown a little jump ahead of tomorrow's results.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
economic health
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Horse,are you a station master?
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
If I was I'd call myself Iron Horse, however my factory manager (in Mooi River) is a retired station master, and his office (mine in another town) is 50 meters from the track. Kassam:)
0 Kudos