Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Moving average settings

of
Frequent Contributor
what are the best "general" moving avarage settings for our market 50 and 200' or 100 and 200 I notice garth makensie also talks about 98 days what is this forums consensus especially from those members who extensively backtested our popular trading stocks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
From Yonthan Rom's TA2 course: He showed us that every share has its own ma that fits the share the best as a leading indicator. Its up to you to fiddle around and backtest and see what combination of ma's best describe the anticpated derection of the specific share. MO
0 Kudos
of
Frequent Contributor
Thats true but there must be an overall MA that give a trigger accross the board to initiate further investigation
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well yes and depending who you speak to wiull depend ont eh answer .. some say 200, others say 89 .. an still more will say 50/100 .. short answer is no ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As per above, but also what purpose are you using MA for? Investment in long term portfolio=MA usually pretty useless, Short term trading then you MA=you time frame.....ie if you intraday you are not gonna use a 200 and I doubt you will even use a 50. I use a 14 or 26 and even cut it to 10 on very short trades. MA however is not the best indicator for me. I use it with MFI/RSI plus STO & ROM. Volume and DMI (ADX) and MACD used in some cases to look at trend and volumes but not to often. So as you see it really has to do with your time frame and what your outcome expectation is. As they say exist stratergy is far more improtant than entry.
0 Kudos