Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

My First choice ....

barry_1
Super Contributor
.... for 2012.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
barry_1
Super Contributor
That is on my smallcap watchlist of course.
0 Kudos
ndabs
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what - technically, or fundamentally?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Small caps always fundementally.Tobe held over one year.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
fundamentally? Seriously? I don't see any improvement on their balance sheet. They claim to have cleaned it up, but I still see a dodgy NAV with mostly goodwill and intangibles - compounded with a debt equity ratio of 14 to 1. And they have miraculously doubled their interim turnover - looks suspiciously like an accounting trick. Maybe, and its a big maybe, they actually repeat the performance in H2, but I still think you are looking at a company with huge debt and a shaky balance sheet.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
All small caps have an element of risk attached to them .That is why I have them on a watchlist.Of the four or five shares I select yearly ,usually one turns out to be a dud,how ever if you look up my past performances over the last couple of years this system works quite well.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
All small caps have an element of risk attached to them .That is why I have them on a watchlist.Of the four or five shares I select yearly ,usually one turns out to be a dud,how ever if you look up my past performances over the last couple of years this system works quite well.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Do remember this share is on the ALTX.If it were making perfect profits it would be on the main board.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry Barry, it is not that I doubt your system, on the contrary, I have incorporated your techniques into my own style. My interpretation is that you pick the strongest stocks in your watchlist, which seems based on technicals to me. But you state it is fundamentals that drives your selection. This is what is puzzling me, because I can't see what fundamentals could possibly motivate the selection of BFS? Technically, it has merit, but fundamentals?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
WELL i do watch the charts over a longer period as well.I suppose that can be taken as technical analisys
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I have also now chosen Rolfs as one of the four shares for nextyear.Go and see if u agree with my reasoning.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rolfes for sure - great stock, great cashflow. I did my own DCF on Rolfes, and I actually think it is on a PE of around 9 (the effects of its recent agri acquisition are not properly known yet, but revenues will contribute to full HEPS, as I understand it. If it hits 17 times earnings, then we should see it double from this point on. I am a holder of CGR, but I spent some time again going over its numbers and I have to say that I am not convinved about this company's potential to shoot the lights out (from this point anyways). But it has momentum, and who am I to doubt the words of mr market. As for your 4th choice, what criteria are you looking for?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Would I be correct in saying that the person who bought spg this morning at 125c has just increased his R27645 by about 8 times in the blink of an eye?
0 Kudos
JulzM
Regular Contributor
SPG up 918% >??!
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I am aware of sens.But he bought today at 125c.Sorry,i thought i had started a new topic.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
AS for the4th choice,in answer to your question,a share that has delivered a steady state return,that is showing potential of increasing growth.that for instance elimates TASTE as this latest aquisition of fish shops might be such a good idea as fish outlets are becoming an over traded area,with new ventures not on the JSE entering the market as well.another worring aspect is that Steers and famous Brands are now hitting back with lines for lower income users and cultural lines for different cultures.I think they should bed down their business before bulking up futher.that might put them in contention for my 2013 list,in a years time SE ENTERING THIS SPACE AS WELL.
0 Kudos