Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

My three most important indicators and what they mean

Not applicable
Number 1, moving averages. If they are not pointing in the direction of your trade, you don't have a trade (unless you a contrarian). Number 2, stochastics. On their own, about the most useless indicator their is, but their value lies in conjunction with your setup. Stochastics are a very good indicator of momentum - if you are trying to short a pullback, but your stochs are sitting above 50, then you are trying to f@#rt into the wind. Number 3. Keltner bands. Some use Bollingers, I prefer Keltners. They help to filter out the noise once you are in the trade. If you are short, then as long as the bands are sloping down, and you are trading in the range of the mid point and the lower band - then you should stay in the trade. There is no technical indicator I know that gives you a reliable entry or exit signal, but that is just my observation and years of trying to back test the classics. Entries & exits have to be set up on price action (volume and candles)
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Rams
Super Contributor
whats your criteria for entry using candles--lets say going long
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There are dozens - on a daily time frame, I look for the stock that gaps up the most - and take 2 or three such positions. Other candles that are pretty reliable are doji's, island bottoms, kangaroo tails (pretty rare), engulfing candles (risky) ,etc. The importance is that each of these indicate price action - and enable me to filter my stock selection criteria, gradually phasing in my buying until I have 6% committed. On day trading, different story, obviously
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
what can you tell us about the Ichimoku Kinko Hyo? What are your preferences for the chikou and tenkan-sen? I normally set the senkou span to 48, but not sure if I am finding better results there.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ah so thats the issue.. you simply have not got a clue, so when people talk about markets in jargon, you just dont what is been said...perhaps trying to learn may be more productive than always trying to knock it.. yor ignorence speaks louder than your slander.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
even reading names is beyond your intelligence. Please dude.. there is a chat room that would welcome your input..its just not this one!
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
in order of importance BB, MA, RSI..my only 3( all indicators used in traditional since i guess, with the exception of MA- direction is not as NB as convergence for me).........but all secondarily to price action..
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
OK Mother Goose, why are you here? You and your other selves seems to know it all and yet there is this wonderland that all must keep checking on with your CPS mate. Do you remember the name? thats why you are here hovering not? eh? Go educate yourself chartist - try this http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/ichimokuchart.asp
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
huh!..OH My.. what a chop, next you going to tell me you are an ANC youth leauge suporter who believes in nationalisation of mines and farms so the poor working class can get richer like in Zimbawe..DUDE.. the question you should be asking is this... what value are you adding by posting here.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Whatever... I have better things to do than fight with you .. have a good week end all...
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
You make an effort with my questions and I will consider to answer your feeble moronism. Maybe not. Now here is some advise for free: Below R107.00 is the zone for a long GFI. Be a good upstart and put everything you have on it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Interestingly enough, if you follow the link, then the top most recommended related link is ??? I kid you not ... Chartist!! Yes folks - we have finally cracked the mystery of Fredsed's real identity! He is the old poolboy warrier himself in a new disguise.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
you okes are all way too clever for me....
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Skaapie, jy het dit!!! Did not think that the C Man could resist the hunting grounds of this forum.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Now that's how you F@CK up a good post.....
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Hey, never mind big brother john, I am asking if you can help me. You being very helpful here - I could do with some help with my question. Whats the story - you never heard of IKH? If so, maybe I am actually helping you here.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Skaap, Are you using these indicators for Intraday trades also....how many time frames do you use and which of those three indicators are you using to confirm the trend
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes I do, 20 period MA is more than sufficient for trend - and I only bother with 5 min intervals. Occasionally, if it screams at me on the 15 minutes - then I will take it, with a wider stoploss.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Keep to the script guys, remember why you are here. I won't bother to ask if you actually do any real trading. Hennie has got it worked out that our famous friend is telling porkies about his R million challenge. Any comments from the cheer leaders? PS for john and his other 3 names that he admits to - see my free tip on GFI is busy paying out. Now don't you wish you knew how to do it eh? what?
0 Kudos