Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

NEW INVESTOR

Not applicable
Hi guys I'm so frustrated,first time in stock investing finding very hard to learn HELP, ANY MENTORS?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
Investing or trading?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You have made your first mistake already - an identity crisis, and the forum is not going to help you on that one, given the wealth of different strategies and opinions. 1st point of call, check out the OST help and education section, and attend the courses
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
the man's name is THE GURU. i suspect he is a guru of mistakes.
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
ja trading and investing two worlds
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Only advise I can give, Read, read, read, read and then attend all the free courses OST offers. We all have different ideas as to what trading is and what profits we want. Thus maybe get a good book or two and start reading these before you loose more money. However with that said, school fees (your losses) are part of the course you have to do to appreciate that trading is not a get quick rich game ;-).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Attend SImon's free Intro to investing then from there you will be able to distinguish betweeen a trader and investor. Buy The effective investor by Franco Busseti its a south african book written about JSE trading.
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
The "buy low", "sell high" technique works most of the time. While you attend courses and do some literature studies, follow this simple method in the mean time. It works nicely on any sideways running share like SOL is currently doing.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
If you're loosing money, then your learning. Is it hard to pay schoolfees to learn but it's very effective. In times like these that you will learn the most. The first lesson - Capital preservation - you need a buy and sell stategy. Sell is usually the part that is the easiest to learn. If your share drop with more that 10% sell no matter what - example. Don't rely on hope when your loosing money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Learn how a stop-loss works. Learn how a trailing stop-loss works. Place a small purchase and implement a stop-loss. Look at when, why and how it is excecuted. Then do the same with a trailing stop-loss. Do this even before reading books. IT IS CRUCIAL!!!! IT IS CAPITAL SAVING. No Nonsense. It should be the first thing you learn and the first thing that you practice. I saw the TOPI drop by 1500 points in one day!!! It was sickening. Never think you have reached the bottom. The bottom is far lower than your thoughts of the bottom. STOP-LOSS,STOP-LOSS,STOP-LOSS,STOP-LOSS.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Hey Guru you also have to decide if you are a technical trader or not if you are develop yourself a simple system of identifying trends, having 4 or 5 indicators to indicate entries and exits. A really good book to read is "come in to my trading room" by Alexander Elder covering market phsychology and some very usefull indicators and trading disciplines. Don't make it complicated its not rocket science.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
Don't forget "Trading for a Living" by the same author.
0 Kudos