Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Naspers Undervalued - Tencent Earnings

richardw
Super Contributor
I do like both of them and I think they have a killer future, but I don't think the current prices are for me. There's a *lot* of talk about bubbles in China so I'd prefer to let that one sort itself out and buy when it looks reasonable again. That's with my investing hat, anyway.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good point. Historically, it has performed quite well on Tencent's earnings announcement days. Analysts discount Tencent when they're valuing it. A Merrill Lynch research report I read just arbitrarily discounted Tencent's market value 20% when analyzing Naspers. So what seems to happen on earnings days is the South African market realizes that this internet animal makes great profits and their revenue growth is great. So that's why today I think it's a good bet.
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Agrred Richard. Most South African fund managers do not understand technology companies. Tencent plays in the same space as Facebook , myspace , twitter and is a social networking solution on the internet. It should also be pointed out that Naspers also have social internet solutions in Russia , India ,Estern Europe and Brazil. They also own ineterest in technology comapnies that uses mobiles to access the internet eg Mxit. I will put mu head on the block and say that NAspers share price will increase 25% year on year for next 7 years at least. It is a definite buy in my opion anyway.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you Mr. Money! Tencent's revenues alone have done over 100% YoY for the past few years so that's a safe estimate!
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
I am not sure about all the ratios, I am trading the price and since april this share has gained over 45%, so just let it run! It has staggered a couple of times but has steadily climbed in 4 months.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So now after all that informed debate - where is the money? I dont see NPN shunting out cash like it should... Div yields are low. So why all teh fuss? Or is this one of those buy in, ride up & realise profit on sale? IMO there are more simple to understand businesses out there & especially not linked to the Chinese Myth.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yeah it's a growth stock - ride it up. Don't expect dividends. I guess we'll all find out if I was right around 2pm tomorrow when the earnings hit. So far I'm about 30% up on my futures.
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
wow richy rich u and shanil must be the best traders of ost.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Wasnt npn supposed to go to 400 at 2pm today? lol..if not 400 that at least up today? if not up then atleast unchanged today? but down?? Richard didnt you say npn has a history of performing well on tencent earnings day. Guess that record is going to be broken today.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wasn't shooting for 400 today. Certainly, things can go wrong. The Hong Kong market has been closed since the earnings announcement, which beat all expectations. A lot depends on the changes in the market. But I guess you probably didn't want an explanation. You're just kidding around.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
lol, yeh just kidding around mate. NPN should to 400 in time. Maybe not today or next month or this year. But, it'll get there
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
...but first it is going to down to R180...
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Hi all. Been a long time since I poked my head in here. My CIC are up 37% today and I wanted to know what was going on ; ) I work for a Naspers/MIH owned company. I'm not going to talk the share price up or down, but I will say that Naspers has a killer portfolio of internet companies, mostly in emerging markets - Nimbuzz, Tencent, Abril, Gadu-Gadu, Buzzcity, Ricardo, Allegro, MXIT, 24.com, Mail.ru, iBibo, Compera nTime, Tradus and others. Watch closely and do your own research. I have a lot of confidence in the vision of the top team and the investments they have made over the years.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Welcome back, Tango. Stick around this time
0 Kudos