Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Need some direction here?

stores
Super Contributor
Simon...I stand to be corrected but it is my undersatnding that the SA gold mines close their month around the 26th day of each month so the 5 or so extra production days happens in Q4. This is why traditionally production is down in Q1 as less shifts are worked in the first quarter.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but they loose the 5 days because of the holidays, 16th, 25th, 26th ..
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Hi Maggie Personally I always reassess as if I am not actually already invested in that share. EG "Would I buy Simmers at these levels?" I'd probably say yes-share price down 45% year on year, Rand more likely to weaken than strengthen, 37% of share in Uranium priced at zilch that can only improve as the world gets back on its feet. You could invest more and thereby reduce your share costs and get back to break-even sooner. Of course I could be totally wrong and simmers goes the other way. That's the beauty of this game. OMHO. Good luck.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
buyig because something is 45% down lacks logic .. you buy winners, not losers ?? so rather be buying somethign that is 45% up ?? an the theory that the Rand will weaken is way old school thinking, and been bunk for many years lately .. frankly rand could go to 20 or 2 .. yes everybody laughs when one suggests 2, just as when the rand was at 13.61 everybody laughed about 6 ..
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Eying this one for a while [long term ]. Only reason i can see for heavy loss is there bid for Pamodzi & i don't see them better aurora's bid. IMO the price will recover.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well Maggie, I hope you bought R1,6 mil of SIM and your loss is now 10%, otherwise you really need to consider trading with a proper entry and exit strategy. Any loss on equities > 10% is a definite sell in my books. Have you actually done the sum on what you need to gain to make up your loss? Also once you sell don't buy anything with more risk attached to it to try and cover your losses -That's a classic rookie mistake. Take your loss, reflect on your mistake, don't do it again and move on. Most of us have paid some school fees in our lives. It the lessons learned from it that actually makes it worthwhile to continue. Amount of Equity Loss Amount of Return Necessary to Restore to Original 25% 33% 50% 100% 75% 400% 90% 1000%
0 Kudos
Not applicable
A contrarian investor would argue point one with you Simon, but no-one can argue your point regarding the rand
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure .. but the Q remains, why are we attracted to the dogs in some wild hope they will turn into princesses ???
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Maggie,Theres is no simple answer and work will be required,but surely to get your money back and hopefully make some more should be reward enough.No use relying on graphs alone.What u should is make up watchlists say on small caps such as resources etc.Remember to include the tracker area in it.A share that is running will usually continue to run. Remember to start a new list EVERY month ,that way u will be informed when a share takes off.Don't only take the share at the top of the list blindly,but find out why its running and declining! Remember u are unlikely to spot something no one else knows about ,so use what u know to profit from.Best of luck.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maggie my 10cents worth: Gold will get its shine back! I think SIM had Swine Flue but there's a glimmer of hope. Trade the price with phase trades as a exit strategy. Worked for me! Good luck, been there done that bought the T-shirt and got robbed by SARS.
0 Kudos