Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New Euro Zone crisis?

Not applicable
Yahoo UK finance says: ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou risks a new euro zone crisis with his shock announcement that he will put the bailout deal struck last week to try to contain the bloc's debt mountain to a referendum of voters already angry at harsh cuts.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Not applicable
Don't worry about hte greeks. Nobody else seems to be. Worry about the Italians. When their bond yields get too high for them, then they will start to turn to the EU for funds. That is when the real crisis will kick in. The greeks can strike and protest and bich and moan all they like
0 Kudos
Man_T
Contributor
When that happens who is going to bleed? which shares are going to be hammered and who is going to gain?
0 Kudos
Man_T
Contributor
When that happens who is going to bleed? which shares are going to be hammered and who is going to gain?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Yeap Skaap... spot on.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Yeap Skaap... spot on.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Watch Italian 10 yr Bond at around 6.2%!
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
If Italian risks escalate, and they turn to the EU - and they issue EU Bonds to contain their contagion - who is wanting to take the EU bonds up??? The Chinese or anybody else woudd be mad in their heads to take such an offering up.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Greece referendum may be illegal (apparently not allowed on fiscal issues)
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I thought its tax that the Greeks find illegal?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I thought its tax that the Greeks find illegal?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
with all the double posts seems like OST has defaulted.
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Selfish polticians that have only their own futures in mind - so quite happy to throw the rest of the world into chaos. Greece needs to take responsibility for the way they have run their country finances for years now.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The Germans have benefited hugely from this arrangement for years now. It is time to "pay it back" - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You really think the Greek PM is being selfish? You don't think he has a duty to put the most important decision in the lives of the Greeks for the next 20 years to the vote? I wish our politicians would behave like that. Hats off to the guy, IMO. And he has put his career on the line too, with a second request for a vote of confidence. So you are looking at 2 referendums in Greece. I think the guy deserves a medal.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
I tend to agree with you. I also think the Greek people will go for the bailout. 75% believe in the Euro. They are unlikely to want to go back to the drachma. They could also pull themselves out of their mess quicker than many think. They have a burgeoning tourist industry. If South Africa had a fraction of it? But I digress.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Unfortunately, the EURO is killing their tourism industry.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
A return to the Drachma could be far worse. Their tourism 15% of GDP is dominated by package companies, airlines, car hire companies. They will still insist on Euro payments. It could get like Zimbabwe or other places where a two currency system becomes the norm. That will not be good for Greece. Long term earning Euros will be best them IMO.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
NO! Greece has no industry under the EUROZONE system. Everybody wants to devalue their currency - it would be great for Greece. Tourism would boom as they undercut the competition. Unfortunately - Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. would soon follow suit.
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
old trash theories
0 Kudos