Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New Forum (poll)

yrg
Frequent Contributor
To add to the website Werner has put up (without illegal links), I've been thinking of setting up a FREE feature rich independent forum for discussing share trading. Recently someone (sorry can't remember who) posted a link to chat forum software. It will have all the features expected from a chat forum, like the ability to post images and stock charts, avatars, personal messaging, see who is online, search for posts, proper forumite polls, organise posts in categories which are logical, message stickies (posts that stay at the top), rate other forumites and posts, viewable on a CELLPHONE etc. You can browse without registering but to make a post you must accept the terms and conditions during registration. If you think this will be worthwhile to do, please reply here - and even if you think its a bad idea let me know why. If it seems like there's enough interest, I'll set it up and post the link here later today.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I think the poll is good, was thinking of building that on my site as well, i was also thinking of a forum, but if you can get the forum online, we can link the sites together, this should increase the rankings in google if we have links... I was playing around on the weekend with a very basic chat idea, it would enable users to chat with everyone on the website in up-to-the-second (or 2) timing. maybe this could be nice - what you think?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Do it !,. Great idea,. Sharing pics of Graphs etc will go a long way in helping others get what some are chatting about,...
0 Kudos
AJDK
Frequent Contributor
Good idea. Maybe some competition will encourage OST to improve their Chat Forum? Who knows?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
If you do it right you can make SFM buy it back from you!
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
I was hoping to keep this under wraps until I'd launched the site... but looks like there's enough interest to get a bit of feedback and advice from the guys on this forum. I'm setting up a financial forum at www.moneytalks.co.za. The current page isn't functional but im just playing around with layout ideas. I'll get it done professionally soon. What else would you guys like to see on such a site? Would the site name work? It will include everything mentioned in the posts above... but I'm looking to branch out at a later stage. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
looks like you should pay yrg to do it. don't boyh do it.
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
yrg... can I drop you a mail. What's your email address?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
you can publish stock pick articles on www.orbiterinvestments.com/stockmonitor - i am working on the uploading of charts as we speak.
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
DCTrader, looks like we should have chatted earlier. The chat forum I mentioned is up. I wanted to make sure there was enough interest before taking the plunge, but here it it : www.socialstocks.co.za You can email me at [email protected]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looks fantastic. Congrats Yrg! thanks for the effort
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
I wanted to put some topics up first.... so its pretty empty at the moment. Remeber you don't have to register to browse, but to post you register and get an email confirmation with a link (for your own security)
0 Kudos
DCTrader
Super Contributor
See you used SMF... considering that as an option. Can I drop you a mail with some more info? Shot
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
no problem email me at [email protected]. Like john says, we shouldn't duplicate functionality but pool all of the resources together
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
Werner, I had that in mind, linking of the sites etc. With regard to the live chat functionality you mention, have a look at Jabber. Though I don't think the extra effort is required - i think a chat forum (like www.socialstocks.co.za :)) will do the job of the "real-time" communication plus have the history of the conversations available etc.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, I am still working on my trading engine (virtual trading game) but maybe in the future we can create a forum thread for the different games created so the contestants can communicate? i would insert a link the the relevant thread for each game, then this will make one link. I will also publish a link on the homepage of my site to yours!
0 Kudos
yrg
Frequent Contributor
Sounds good.. Just hope people are going to register and use the forum !
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have the same worries. i am taking measures to get my site in search engines, and with the amount of internet users around the world, over time i think it will build up!
0 Kudos